How tall should my nesting boxes be from the ground?

They could be lower. Mine are no more than a couple of inches off the ground, and the roosting bars a couple more. The lower they are, the less stress there is on the feet and joints when the bird jumps down.
Also, do you plan to keep a broody and/or let one hatch chicks in there? If so, you might want to think about it from a chick's perspective.

This is another topic but if you have Broody Hens setting and hatching in the flock the chances are high the others will kill the peeping Chicks as they hatch.

Im seasoned and havent ever had anyone bombard my mama hens to kill her chicks. If you do then it sounds like someone is an aggressor and needs to go to freezer camp.

Im seasoned and havent ever had anyone bombard my mama hens to kill her chicks. If you do then it sounds like someone is an aggressor and needs to go to freezer camp.
I never hatch mine within the flock. I haven't taken the chance. I reintroduce once Chicks are up and running. I only replied because it happens. I'm glad you have success.

I'm in process of compiling coop plans and what I have read has been nesting boxes 18"-24" off ground, I suppose that it depends and I am interested to hear others opinions.

I can say with confidence that my hens prefer the bottom nest boxes.

An important thing is to have the best boxes lower than the roosts.

Back
Top Bottom