How tall to make food stand for GSD?

We've had a similar dilemma with our Bloodhound. She was diagnosed with Wobbler's Disease last week, and the vet suggested that we raise her food bowl to relieve pressure on her neck. However bloat is quite prevalent among Bloodhounds, and since she travels with her nose on the ground most of the time anyway, we're not sure whether it's worth the risk.

Well, bloat or not, we use an elevated feeder for Tesla, 12". She has to lay down on the floor to eat otherwise since she can't reach the floor and eat properly. All legs, no neck. She eats super slow when we can get her to eat so no worries there....

Quote:
I not sure about that.

I raw feed and 95% of the time my dog stands and holds her head level with her shoulders to chew & swallow. To me that indicates that they wouldn't normally eat with their heads down.

Some dogs like to lay and work things between their paws though, so maybe it just depends on the dog.
hu.gif

I expect bloat has much more to do with feeding a lot followed by excercise. We had a GSD that had an enlarged esophagus and he had to be fed from raised bowls.

I don't think they're necessary except for older dogs or dogs with medical problems, but if you put them at elbow height or less you're probably fine with that.

Quote:
We're very careful about the exercise after feeding. Jax's problems start when his tummy is empty - hiccups and belching. Leaving a little dry kibble down between meals has fixed that.
My main reason for wanting the elevated feeders was to prevent the new pup from getting into the dry during the housebreaking period. There are other options available and we'll find one that works.

Quote:
Our last Bloodhound bloated before her evening meal. Bloat has many causes including drinking too much water at once, over-excitement then eating or drinking, eating immediately after exercise, stress, rapid eating, heredity, eating certain foods, eating a great deal at one time.. the list just goes on.

I would think that the raised bowl itself would not cause bloat, but if your dog gobbles their food fast, and not having to put their head down to gobble more gets them to eat even faster, then it would be a risk.

Back
Top Bottom