How the heck do you keep the shavings out of the water?!

I have my chicks water elevated and I give them less chips and less woodchips in the area of the water. I have 12 chicks right now and they just love to practice their scratching.

Chest level with the smallest chick is an appropriate height for elevating water.

I get a little shavings in the waterer but not much I keep the waterer part were they drink at the same level as there back. That is normally perfect for them to drink and keep the waterer a little way away from the feeder as they fling shavings everywhere after they spill a little feed. That should help a lot

I put my waterers on puppy pee pads from Petco, they are about 18 in square I believe, so it does help keep things cleaner. I also use alot of textured paper towels, not so much shavings - for me, they are easier to clean - I just roll them up 2x/day and toss. At one week old, I put in a chick waterer with the horizontal nipples and they will actually try it at that young age. At about 2.5/3 weeks old, they are totally using the nipple waterer and I can ditch the others!

Mine took to a vertical nipple waterer when they were 3-4 days old. Then I just had to deal with shavings that would get wet they would decide to peck at it for fun, but at least their water stayed clean.

Yes, mine love to practice their scratching too! LOL Particularily one of my BO’s more than the others LOL Iguess I’m going to raise it higher and see if that works
I have my chicks water elevated and I give them less chips and less woodchips in the area of the water. I have 12 chicks right now and they just love to practice their scratching.

Chest level with the smallest chick is an appropriate height for elevating water.

Thank you so much everyone! I’m going to try and raise the water more and see if that helps and if not I might invest in some vertical nipple waterers

Nipple waterers. In the pic, they are on top of the heat plate. Once that gets removed, we will either add a shelf, or move to horizontal waterers - placed on a brick to raise them up a bit. Really great! I used a regular waterer before these (for quail chicks) and it was always needing to be cleaned and refreshed due to shavings or poop or both.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 1.56.25 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom