1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How thick to lay bedding on concrete flooring?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickGirl4Life, May 4, 2011.

1. ChickGirl4Life

ChickGirl4Life Out Of The Brooder

I got my chicks a week ago and I and getting ready the coop ready. I plan on using wood shavings for the bedding, which I am using in the brooder as we speak, and I'm wondering how much to layer it. Any suggestions? Please post!! [​IMG]

2. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    I'm doing the same thing and have read about deep bedding. This way I can (supposedly) do a total clean-out about every six months. I plan to start with about 2 inches and add an inch every few week until I get about 8 inches deep. I think the spring/summer/fal will support this, however, in the winter I plan to supplement the deep bed ith chopped straw.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I start with not less than 3-4" of reasonably-compacted shavings to start with on concrete. By reasonably compacted I mean "after you pat them down with your rake or walk on them a bit, not all super-fluffy right outta the bale". I find that if I put in less, they create too many bare spots.

But honestly, I'd say just put "some" in, let the chickens live with it for a day, see if they are making a lot of bare spots. If so, add more. If not, then you're good [​IMG]

I use a lot more in the wintertime to keep them warm.

You cannot count on "the" (there is no such thing) deep litter method to provide you with a certain schedule of cleanout, there are an infinite number of ways of doing it, only some of which will work well for your particular setup. Experiment, don't expect some particular outcome, just see what works best for you.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. birdstheword

birdstheword Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Should you use straw (like as in bales of hay) or pine shavings for this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by