How to acclimate chicks to cooler night time temps when brooder ambient temp doesn't drop below 75 a

cajun41887

Songster
Nov 25, 2015
Parrish, Florida
I live in Southwest Florida where our daytime temps are 80 currently and night time temps in the mid to low 60's. 10 chicks all 5 weeks old and all feathered except a few aren't feathered fully on their heads. They are living in my garage without a heat lamp currently. My question is, how do I acclimate them to the cooler night time temps when my garage doesn't get below the low 70's even over night? Can I just move them to the coop or is that too much of a shock to them? They haven't had the heat lamp on overnight for a couple of days. All are normal sized chickens, not bantams. 3 Delawares, 1 Partridge Rock, 2 Australorps, 2 EE and 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes. Thanks so much for any help and suggestions you can provide. Guess I should also mention the coop is not drafty, but is well ventilated. I don't want to use a heat lamp in the coop as the thought of having a fire is terrifying!

I would personally move them out to the coop, you can always close up some vents to keep it a bit warmer overnight, but they should sleep in a huddle for a while and keep themselves warm.

They should be fine in that weather without heat. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they are behaving ok.

Can I just take a moment to say "Thank the Lord I don't live in Florida!" I would die from heat!!
2600.png
1f633.png
2600.png

My chicks moved from 70 degree temps to overnight high 40's low 50's temps when they were 5 weeks old. That was mid October here in Washington. I know, you are thrilled you don't live in Washington! LOL

Bird believer, I was actually born and raised in Washington. Lived there for 23 years. Still have tons of family in the Bothell/Everett area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom