How to acclimate ducklings to cold weather??

Percipen

Songster
Nov 2, 2020
SE Michigan
I live in SE Michigan, temps in 20's and 30's this time of year. I have six ducklings that are 7.5 weeks old. How/when can I start acclimating them to the cold weather so that I can integrate them into my outdoor flock? I was thinking of putting them out for a few hours a day and gradually increase the time until they are out the same amount of time as the outdoor flock, but I don't want to do this wrong and have them get sick or worse. Any advise would be helpful!! Thanks in advance

I live in SE Michigan, temps in 20's and 30's this time of year. I have six ducklings that are 7.5 weeks old. How/when can I start acclimating them to the cold weather so that I can integrate them into my outdoor flock? I was thinking of putting them out for a few hours a day and gradually increase the time until they are out the same amount of time as the outdoor flock, but I don't want to do this wrong and have them get sick or worse. Any advise would be helpful!! Thanks in advance
I think that’s a good idea. 7 1/2 weeks is a good age. Do you have an insulated coop or anything like that?

I think that’s a good idea. 7 1/2 weeks is a good age. Do you have an insulated coop or anything like that?
Our outdoor flock free ranges during the day and sleep in their house which is lined with straw. I was planning on putting the babies in their own fenced area with a shelter (not insulated) when I put them outside. Once they permanently move outside they'll free range with the others and sleep in the duck house at night. Should I line the babies shelter with straw too?

Our outdoor flock free ranges during the day and sleep in their house which is lined with straw. I was planning on putting the babies in their own fenced area with a shelter (not insulated) when I put them outside. Once they permanently move outside they'll free range with the others and sleep in the duck house at night. Should I line the babies shelter with straw too?
In my opinion I think you should, but it’s up to you. It doesn’t have to be a lot of straw. You could put a heating plate in there as well. I wouldn’t suggest a heat lamp or anything like that though because its a fire hazard

In my opinion I think you should, but it’s up to you. It doesn’t have to be a lot of straw. You could put a heating plate in there as well. I wouldn’t suggest a heat lamp or anything like that though because its a fire hazard
I think I'll go with the straw. I'll use it eventually anyway. Thanks so much for your help. Happy New Year!

Back
Top Bottom