1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to add another duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandy sea, Sep 22, 2011.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I have two female pekin ducks around 2 years old. I would like to get another one. Ok to just add one duck or do I have to get two? I only want females. I would love to add just one crested. What age would be the best to add?

2. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Anyone???? I was thinking about going to get one tomorrow?

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I went and got one today, around the same age as mine, and just put them together. I stayed out and watched them most of the day, in case they started picking on him and I needed to seperate them. I guess ducks are more peaceful than chickens though, and everyone got along fine (once a few of my bossy hens let him know who was boss, silly silkies, lol) That has been my only experience adding new ducks, so I would say just make sure you can watch them and be prepared to intercept if there are issues. Good luck!

4. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    When I added new ducks they were younger than the ducks I have already, to avoid injury I kept them separated in an area of the yard they could all see one another but not get to one another for a week. I used a rabbit hutch that I put right up against the big ducks' house.
    After a week of them all seeing one another I let the ducklings out in the duck yard. While one drake was very good with them I had a pair that went after them - a lot.
    I gave them another week in the hutch and then moved the hutch into the large duck house. When the ducklings were big enough to hold their own I locked them all in the duck pen together. The pair were still bullies, but not like chickens are. It took 2 days in their duck house to settle their differences.
    I would say, while most ducks are better than chickens at pecking order, not all are little angels when you bring a new duck into the mix. I think this is especially true when you have a small number of ducks and there is a chance they will have to compete for the affection of their girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by