How to add another duck?

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
I have two female pekin ducks around 2 years old. I would like to get another one. Ok to just add one duck or do I have to get two? I only want females. I would love to add just one crested. What age would be the best to add?

I went and got one today, around the same age as mine, and just put them together. I stayed out and watched them most of the day, in case they started picking on him and I needed to seperate them. I guess ducks are more peaceful than chickens though, and everyone got along fine (once a few of my bossy hens let him know who was boss, silly silkies, lol) That has been my only experience adding new ducks, so I would say just make sure you can watch them and be prepared to intercept if there are issues. Good luck!

When I added new ducks they were younger than the ducks I have already, to avoid injury I kept them separated in an area of the yard they could all see one another but not get to one another for a week. I used a rabbit hutch that I put right up against the big ducks' house.
After a week of them all seeing one another I let the ducklings out in the duck yard. While one drake was very good with them I had a pair that went after them - a lot.
I gave them another week in the hutch and then moved the hutch into the large duck house. When the ducklings were big enough to hold their own I locked them all in the duck pen together. The pair were still bullies, but not like chickens are. It took 2 days in their duck house to settle their differences.
I would say, while most ducks are better than chickens at pecking order, not all are little angels when you bring a new duck into the mix. I think this is especially true when you have a small number of ducks and there is a chance they will have to compete for the affection of their girls.

Back
Top Bottom