how to add wheels to a chicken tractor?

savilcr

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Georgia
how can i put wheels on my chicken tractor to move it? I still need it to be flush with the ground so they cant get out under neath the boards? thanks for the help

I remove the nuts that hold the wheels onto their axle. I leave the wheels on top of the tractor and put the nuts back on the axle so I won't loose them but just in case, they've been painted flourescent orange.

One simple solution might be to simply make the wheels removable. Then all you have to do is lift the tractor a few inches and slide them on when you need to move it.

You can also make some sort of hinged board flap with wheels. It would sit vertically along the back side of the tractor when not being used and hinges horizontally to fit under the tractor when you need to move it (would require you to lift the tractor up and swing the hinged boards under the tractor).

Lastly, if you do mount the wheels so the tractor sits flush to the ground, you can still roll the tractor if you tip the other end up high enough (sorta like a hand truck or wheeled garbage can)

My wife decided to start raising chickens for the fun of it and so that we could at least partially control our food supply. As a romantic she wanted to free range the chickens and protect them from predators.
She did some research and started building a coop. The coop had to be strong enough to keep a coyote or dog from breaking in.

During the construction she asked me for some suggestions to stiffen it up and then to help her finish it by adding a set of wheels so that it could be moved around.

She showed me videos on the Internet of some coops that had wheels. But there was nothing available for purchase as a kit that would allow her to mobilize her coop. So using some of the basic ideas that others had used successfully I managed to come with what I think is a pretty good kit.
You can see it here:

www.chickencoopwheels.com

The kit appears so practical that I thought I would make a few and see if other people could use them too.

Back
Top Bottom