how to age hens??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Athensm50, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Athensm50

Athensm50 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    Hey guys.....I got 2 hens last weekend and were told that they were about a year old......I picked up a couple more girls today for an older gent that was not sure.....he had about 30 birds and didn't know...

so....how do I tell the age of the new hens.....up next to my my 1 yr girls.....they are larger(same breed) (Golden Comet).....and thier (new so I don't know)comb I think is a little taller....and the (Stuff) under the beek (Red like comb) is larger as well.

Thanks in advance!

Athens

2. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

under the beak is called wattles. :)

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It can be a bit difficult once they are full grown. The difference between a 1 year old and a 2 year old is not obvious, and the differences you described could simply be differences in the birds. If you are sure the 1 year olds are that old, they should be full sized.

Once they get past two, to me, they start to look old, a little less brightly colored feathers, and they can get a little stiffer..... they just look older.

Under 6 months, easy to see, over 2 1/2 years fairly easy to see, but in between is a bit difficult. I would guess older than younger, as people like to keep healthy layers of that age bracket.

Mrs K

4. Athensm50

Athensm50 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    Thanks Mrs. K

Not sure...i was told that the 1st 2 hens were a year.....but they just seem smaller....the other 2 hens I got are big and bright...stunning!

maybe the 1st 2 hens were younger???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by