How to approach neighbours

BedHead

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta
I am part of a group trying to have the bylaw changed in our city to allow backyard hens, and we are trying to get a pilot project off the ground for this spring. I am hoping to be one of the sites. Part of that involves having the permission of my neighbours. I have 4 backyard neighbours I need to approach and sell the idea to. One I have never met, two we are fairly friendly with, and the other one is OK but we had a big fight with them a couple of years ago when they spray painted a bunch of our garden through the fence and the guy seems a little unstable.

I have no idea if any of them have ever even thought about backyard hens at all.

I was thinking of writing a note to them just saying that I would like to meet with them for about a half hour regarding a project I am involved in with the City but not giving any details, and asking them to call me when I can come over to meet with them. Then when I go and see them tell them about the project and what it entails. I would have literature on backyard hens to give them, and if it looks like they are resistant, I would try to sell it to them on the basis that we will be asking for input from them for research purposes (which we are) and that negative feedback would also be welcome.

Do you think that's a good approach? Has anyone else ever done anything similar?

Oh wow! I myself, would have someone else approach the unstable neighbors you had a beef with. They may oppose just out of spite. Good Luck!
fl.gif

Schedule a meeting with all of them at your home--I like your initial idea of limited information in the invitation. Serve refreshments and make it a congenial neighborly atmosphere. Have some literature to pass out. Have your coop site already selected and perhaps even breeds (and photos of them). Have a plan for what will happen to your chickens if the trial run is unsuccessful. If the general consensus is favourable, and you have answers ready for any concerns (and the correct information for response to inaccurate assumptions), chances are that positive momentum will build, making it less likely for someone to dig in thier heels. Make sure you let them know that you want them to bring any concerns or complaints to you so that you can address them.

By having everyone there at once you eliminate rumours and mis-information.

Maybe you can have someone there that can bring one of their well-behaved, quiet pet chickens to show off, maybe a silkie or two......and at the conclusion, give them each a dozen farm fresh eggs

I'd personally think it'd be kind of strange, the formality of it, to send out invitations or schedule meetings etc., could I lend a hand? I'm in the city here and can be pretty persuasive, plus any possible inherent bias your neighbors have against you wouldn't be brought into play =P

Just sayin'. Good luck!

I vote for a nieghborhood BQ or block party with an 'agenda'
smile.png
If you already have chickens then everyone could see that you take good care of them and of course if you had some eggs to give them that would be even better. You could serve BQ chicken for a theme
smile.png

Aw man, what a jerk. He should've at least recognized that his continued input, even if it meant completely negative experiences, would've been more valuable to his whole being against backyard chickens deal.

Not that it'd necessarily be good for us (or our cause) however, just acknowledging that he apparently dislikes you with such vitriol that he made a shortsighted decision to spite you in the present, showing that he is entirely 100% a bag of... unpleasantness =P

Anywho, I'd be interested in joining, certainly! Hook me up
smile.png

I'm really confused. If there was some trial program in my area to see if it would work for people to have chickens in residential areas and I had a neighbor that I knew was a major PITA, I wouldn't participate. This would be regardless of whether I needed my neighbors permission. Why would I want to let my neighbor be able to kill the program! They could complain about everything, and then the town would say, no to implementing allowing chickens in residential areas. Am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom