How to approach valentines for this person

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Feb 14, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    My next door neighbor lost his wife this past fall. He's 86 and lives alone.

We have done what we can to help him and keep an eye on him. He's a very private person, but I know they were very much in love after 63 years of marriage.

Should we just let this pass? Or should I have the kids make him something??

Any ideas?

(He used to tell the greatest story: his wife was very smart in an era when that was not celebrated in a woman. She became a chemist, but as a child her father frequently told her that girls didn't do that. SHe wanted a train set as a child and he refused - not a girls toy. So for valentines one day when they were both well into their forties he saw a train set and bought it for her! The train set is still set up in their basement!)

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    aww how sweet. Maybe have your kids make something, that is sure to bring a smile on his face. I am going to call my Grandfather today, he's in his 80's and my Grandmothe passed away several years ago. I call him every Valentines day to tell him how much I love him.

3. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    You have a great heart. Go with it. Older folks (even private ones) need companionship and friends. You have a great idea there.

P.S. I just had to edit and add. Thank You for caring. In this day and age so many people just don't care. Glad to hear there are great people out there. But then again, this is BYC. A home for great people in love with chickens. God Bless!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  4. ShelleyInAlberta

ShelleyInAlberta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Sherwood Park, Alberta
    i think if your kids make him a nice card and maybe you could bake a batch of cookies or a loaf (banana loaf etc) and take it over to him - that would be so nice. i am sure he'd love it.

5. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:That is a good idea and maybe along with the cookies or sweet treat a freezer meal.

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Yes, bring him some goodies and maybe a song from the kids....

It will make him so Happy. God bless you kindness for this!!!!!!

Howabout some red dyed eggs???

Oh, I'm so bad,,,,,the kids would love it but oh the mess......Smile Have a Blessed day! Nancy

7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Yes have the kids make him something. He knows it is Valentines' Day even if you don't take something over. He is bound to be missing his wife and feeling extra lonely today. He may not feel like talking, but he will certainly appreciate being thought about.

How kind of you to care, and to include him in your day.

8. Yes, I would.

If you have cash to spend, you could bring him flowers. Most men love to get flowers even if they would never say it.
    I have given my guy roses and on his 30th birthday I had a vase with 30 daisies sent to him at work (daisies are his birth month flower), I had them sent in a masculine blue vase and he LOVED them.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Thanks for the ideas! I think we'll tuck a card in his mailbox with some goodies.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    You are very sweet to think of doing this. [​IMG] There are so many nice people on BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by