How to attach Hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MPLSHens, Aug 5, 2009.

1. osagebill88

osagebill88 Songster

Mar 15, 2008
    Osage Co
    We stappled the wire down to hold it in place...then cut a piece of wood to cover over the edge of the wire and fastened it down with screws.

2. MPLSHens

MPLSHens In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I work at a hardware store, so materials and cost aren't a huge issue. Covering the edges with wood seems like a good idea, decorative too.

OneMore likes this.
  3. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    HEY! [​IMG] from the SW burbs!

I used washers and screws just because I like the way it looks. Very sturdy and clean.

Make sure you introduce yourself over at the "where are you" MN thread.

[​IMG]

4. davidr

davidr Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    Mokena, IL
    I agree with the wood over the edge of fence/cloth.

I used 1x2 over the edge, you can see it, if you look close.

David

[​IMG]

TrickahTreat likes this.
  5. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    The wood edge will keep you from being stuck and cut whenever you brush up against the edge of the wire.

6. christy777

christy777 In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    This is my first ever post and I do not suggest using a staple gun to attach any barrier. I lost my 11 chicks at 4 weeks of age due to a raccoon that simply pulled the staples out that were holding a combination of chicken wire and hardware cloth to a wood frame (stapled to the exterior). It was the chicken wire that was pulled loose, but when I went to remove all the chicken wire (to totally start over), the hardware cloth also pulled away. I thought I had really secured everything and never dreamed those staples would pull out so easily. It is very disheartening but I do want to try again. This time I am not using any chicken wire, only hardware cloth. I really like the idea of using screws and washers. Great idea. I am reading all I can so any future chickens will be safe. I learn so much here! [​IMG]

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I use a heavy duty bull nose nails/staples they are super strong and easy to nail, plus there is no need for additional materials.

AL

8. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

Use fender washers, screws, and a drill, cordless if you have one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bcampo and KelsT like this.
  9. packmom

packmom Hatching

Jul 24, 2009
    Dover
    OK - here's a little curve ball for all of you. I have 6' chain link fencing that will provide the 'backbone' of my fenced in chicken yard.

However, I want to add 1/2" hardware cloth to the lower part of the chain link for added protection.

Same 2 questions but different 'base' material: (1) what do I use to fasten the hardware cloth to the chain link with, and (2) inside or outside?

Thanks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: