How to attach Hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MPLSHens, Aug 5, 2009.

1. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    The best way I found to fasten hardware cloth to wood is lath screws. I use #8 3/4" Teks lath screws from Home Depot, $5.24 for 200 of them.

I see no way that any predator could pull a 3/4" screw out of wood. Might could happen, I just don't see how. This is so much faster than nailing in small
    fencing staples (and less frustrating too), and much more secure than the staple gun route.

2. scratchpeck

scratchpeck Hatching

May 2, 2011
    Hmmm - been mulling this one myself. So, if I were going the route of 2 pieces of wood around the hardware cloth, could I use regular staples to fasten the mesh to the 1st piece of wood, and then use deck screws THROUGH the mesh and into the other piece of wood?

I'm thinking that it would work, since the staples (regular, not poultry) are just holding the wire in place until the screws are in - wouldn't the screws help hold the wire in, and the wood on top prevent the staples from being pulled out? I'd have to make sure and run the hardware cloth a good distance down the wood, prolly half-way down the cedar 2x6 that will be the base, and use a decent length of staple - not the little 1/4" guys.

Am I on the right track here?

3. OldHen13

OldHen13 Hatching

Feb 23, 2013
    Wonderful design!

4. HenOnTheHill

HenOnTheHill In the Brooder

Quote: I second the use of the lath screws. The washer component is already built into the screw and makes it stable and easy to put in.I used these on a chicken tractor I built and plan on using the rest on our permanent run space.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  5. JerseyChickGuy

JerseyChickGuy Hatching

Dec 6, 2013
    Lath screws are designed for indoor use. Any issues with rust for those who have used them?

6. HenOnTheHill

HenOnTheHill In the Brooder

I just built my coop/run this summer and so far so good. I don't know how long it will take them to rust, but I it seems that eventually they will. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

7. JerseyChickGuy

JerseyChickGuy Hatching

Dec 6, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. If nothing else, they seem easy enough and cheap enough to replace. I also like the idea of using pennies or bottle caps, much cheaper than the fender washers which I found to be 23 cents each.

8. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Songster

Dec 16, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Fender washers and screws. At a Big Box lumber yard fender washers cost me 8 cents each.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  9. JackE

JackE Crowing

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Poultry staples, then covered the edges with pine trim, nailed on, through the hardware cloth.

[​IMG]

PNWskye likes this.
  10. Diggidy

Diggidy In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    I just finished my hardware cloth instal this weekend. I used fender washer and 1-1/4" self drilling outdoor wood screws. I couldnt find 3/4". 100 screws and washers runs $15 at Ace. I did have a problem with the cloth bunching towards the end so i just put in more screws. Even with slight gaps it is really strong. I also put the cloth on the outside of the coop and on the inside of the doors so my ladies would gunk up the door jam too quickly.

Self drilling = so much easier that hammering staples, which was what i was going to do until i read some BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: