How to attack hardware cloth to metal run?

Sandbyter

Chirping
Jun 12, 2020
Rockland County, NY
Hi,
I'm all new to chicken keeping and I am still working on securing my chicken run. It's a metal run with roof that is attached to the coop. I would like to make it totally predator proof.

My problem is that the ground is not level. For now I have leveled the run at the corners and in the center. I have a lot of wall stones left over from a previous project, so I used these and hope I will get away with having no cement footing. We live 30 miles north of New York City and we do get frost. Between the corners I just plan on filling in with more wall stones, but these won't support the run (I find it is a lot of work to get these all level and to the correct height, so I won't mind a small gap).

I would like to add a hardware cloth, 2' and 3' wide around the run. I plan on laying it flat on the ground. Later I will cover it with mulch and large rocks.

My question is: How do I secure it to the metal run? There is a bar at the bottom I could attach it to, but I'm not sure what material to use to accomplish that. Some sort of metal wire? Clips?

Appreciate your ideas!
IMG_3941.JPG IMG_3942.JPG IMG_3943.JPG IMG_3944.JPG

I use a lot of plastic CABLE TIES with the birds to attach hardware cloth, plastic garden screen, perches, etc. I am no longer able to wield a hammer and pound nails. The ties come in different lengths, widths, and colors. They're easy to use and do a great job.

Thanks, that's a good idea and I believe there are UV resistant ones also.

Just wonder if they will hold up to a fox or black bear attack?

I already caught 3 raccoons in my have-a-heart trap trying to catch a groundhog.

Thanks, that's a good idea and I believe there are UV resistant ones also.

Just wonder if they will hold up to a fox or black bear attack?

I already caught 3 raccoons in my have-a-heart trap trying to catch a groundhog.
They won't hold up to either one if they are determined to have chicken dinner. It would have to be one strong fence to hold up to a bear-good luck on that one.

Back
Top Bottom