How to Attract Wild Geese and Ducks?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by NYboy, Oct 16, 2010.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    I have a weekend home in upstate NY. On the property is a large wetland. The water is several feet deep, slow moving,in middle of summer gets very sluggish. I would love to have waterfowl, but because I am only there a few days a month domesticated birds are out. I have had the house for about 10 years, in all that time only once have I had wild ducks visit! For 3 weekends in a row I would see them on the water. Then one weekend they where gone. Ny. state has a big problem with over population of Canada geese. Plans are talked about culling some of the birds. The geese are everywhere, yet I have never seen one at my house. The corn fields 1/4 mile away are loaded with geese. What could be some of the things stopping geese from using my pond?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Try getting or borrowing a few decoys to place in the water. Once the geese establish a home there, they will return each year.

ETA: Also, there are several wildlife rescue agencies that are looking for good wetland areas to release birds they had in rehab. Try doing a google search for this type of rescue in your area. You can also try contacting the Carolina Waterfowl Rescue to see if they know of any rescues in NY.
    http://www.carolinawaterfowlrescue.com/

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  3. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Wow great idea !!!! Thanks Don't know why I didn't think rescue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by