How to be nice about it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SarahFair, Dec 17, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Ok so my MIL is the type of person who when buying clothes for the boys always thinks about favorite characters.
    You know..
    Like for example take the movie 'Cars'. She buys underwear, shoes, shirts, jackets, pants, socks (not to mention Tv, area rugs, the actual little cars, etc).
    I mean if you like that sort of thing great. There is a reason they make all that...

But me.. I am a very simple kind of person. I dont like the loud lightup shoes with lighting mcqeen and mator (which she bought for them). I like solid colors, simple patterns..
    You know.. Just simple.

Well she called me today and told me she found some zip up Toy Story light up cowboy boots. In my mind Im thinking [​IMG] (and again im sorry if you like this stuff. its just not my cup of tea) but shes going on about 'ohh they are so cute and they light up!'
    Then she asks me 'So do you think they will ever wear them?'

First off they are boots.. on toddlers. Never has really worked out with the past 3 pairs she has bought them. I dont really have the heart to tell her they never wear right and slip off easy..
    Its pretty hard to ask a 2 year old if a boots fitting right..

She seems pretty happy about her find but they are $20 shoes. Thats $40 on shoes the boys will never wear.
    I feel like if I tell her 'No, they will never wear them' its going to feel like a personal attack on her part.

My SO can be pretty cut throat with her (not mean just to the point..) but I feel like if Im that way with her she takes offense to it.

I just dont know what to do [​IMG]
    Tell her to go ahead and get the shoes and make her happy or tell her no and have her hold some weird grudge against me the rest of the holiday season?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] mother in laws are difficult.

My MIL wanted to buy us a ash bucket for our wood stove, while we were in the store I said no I wanted another one, with a lid, and boy was she annoyed with me [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Exactly! Im afraid if I suggest another shoe her suggestion "wasnt good enough for me"

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm probably not much help- but my MIL just sends a check and has me pick out stuff for the kids and put her name on it.

I can't stand the character stuff! [​IMG]

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

If I am asking you if its a good idea or if you want them then I want an honest answer otherwise I just buy them, wrap them and stick them under your tree.

Hopefully MIL is the same [​IMG]

6. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I dont know....
    I think she just wants to tell someone about it who might show interest.
    Her husband would probly just grunt and my SO would probly just blink his eyes [​IMG] (haha Im laughing so hard at that cause its so true [about my SO])
    Dont honestly think she cares what I think... Just kinda a "Must. Tell. Someone!" kinda thing lol

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Well, in that case...find a pair in her size and put em under her tree.... [​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Honestly? Tell her they are over Toy Story and have moved on to, say, geology. You could get a cool rock tumbler out of it without hurting her feelings!

10. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    Is there any way you could accept the shoes and then take them back and exchange them after the holidays without her knowing about it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by