1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to Be Sure Cocci Has Left My Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PepsNick, Nov 11, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I lost 2 to cocci over the summer in this old coop. I have repeatedly washed it with soap, water, new bedding per week, and a hose down often since the chickens moved out. Now there are no chickens living in it. But I will be adding two more hens to it later this month, and want to make sure there isn't cocci anymore. Yes, I know, all chickens carry some cocci in them, but I'm talking about the disease amount.

Also, is there a cocci vaccination?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It hasn't--cocci stays in the soil for ages and is present most if not all places. There is a cocci vac, but I think it's only for chicks...not really sure though. I think your best bet is to have some Corid on hand so if you see signs of a cocci outbreak you can start treatment right away. As you know, it can kill quickly--but birds respond well to treatment and when it's started at onset most will recover. Good luck!!

3. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Sounds like you've worked hard to clean it out, just be sure it is nice and dry, dry, dry after all that washing.

4. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:thank you!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In addition to having Corid/sulmet/whatever on hand so you can jump on any problems promptly, also do your utmost to keep things DRY in the coop. Rig waterer so it won't spill/leak, fix any ways that rain can seep or blow in, change bedding perhaps more often than you would otherwise (post-coccidiosis-outbreak would NOT be a good time to dabble in composting-style deep litter methods [​IMG]), that sort of thing.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

7. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Thanks to you both! I will do all these things... many plans in mind! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by