How to be the Alpha of the Flock

kschicks2013

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
Fernley, Nevada
Hi....so, when I go into the chicken enclosure one of my Buff Rocks gets a bit aggressive or tries to exert her authority.....I am cleaning the enclosure or checking for eggs and she comes up to me and starts clucking. I really don't know if she's going to attack me or just wants to be friends, but I don't want to get pecked or attacked. How can I show her that I'm the boss and she is not? I'm new to chickens so I don't know if this is normal behavior for them or if it needs to be corrected.

Thanks for your advice. They do take treats out of my hand when I give them treats.

If you have a chicken that you need to assert authority over, you can always just put your hands over its wings and pin it to the ground. Let the other chickens come over and see it stuck there, under your hands, and often times that will be enough to pass on the message.

She probably more or less just wants to be friends. I have a few hens that come up to me and yak at me. Some I can pick up and handle a bit, others just want to talk. I sure your hen means no harm or threat. I would not pin her to the ground or anything else like that. If we were talking about a rooster, it would be different. But a hen (Unless you have a broody, sometimes they can get crabby) is as harmless as they come.

Oh great thanks....I was thinking that was what was going on but not sure......I wouldn't pin her down that's for sure. I want them to like me not be afraid of me....

Back
Top Bottom