How to beat the heat?

MissMarple

Songster
Aug 3, 2019
Arkansas
I'm in Eastern Arkansas, in the Delta; land of the mosquitoes. We're in the middle of yet another heat wave. How do y'all beat the heat? My teens are outside with a fan, have access to shade, one drinker has electrolytes, the other is just plain water, I continuously change the water and try to keep it good and cold with ice and such, and I offer frozen goodies. The heat indexes have been 105+ for days and I just can't seem to get everybody cooled off. My two Cornishes have been my biggest concern the last couple of days because they're both so big and panting so heavily. Any tips? Anything you've tried that's worked well? Our 10-day forecast shows a tiny break in the heat but not much. I'm so ready for Fall!!!! TIA!!

A small plastic pool filled a few inches with water is nice for the birds to soak their feet in or splash around in some chickens like it some don’t. Also ice cubes in water is very good! a huge ice cube lasts longest. I recommend putting one giant ice cube in the freezer every night and then in the morning putting it in their waterer and that should be good for the day.

Also my favorite treat for the flock in hot weather is a frozen slice of watermelon, or a whole frozen banana no peel, or any other fruit they like can be frozen. mine love it and peck it and the heat thaws it so it is easy to eat but is cold

The most important thing is lots of water to drink and plenty of shady places for them to lay down

I also would like to see what other people say mine are not loving this heat!

A small plastic pool filled a few inches with water is nice for the birds to soak their feet in or splash around in some chickens like it some don’t. Also ice cubes in water is very good! a huge ice cube lasts longest. I recommend putting one giant ice cube in the freezer every night and then in the morning putting it in their waterer and that should be good for the day.

Also my favorite treat for the flock in hot weather is a frozen slice of watermelon, or a whole frozen banana no peel, or any other fruit they like can be frozen. mine love it and peck it and the heat thaws it so it is easy to eat but is cold

The most important thing is lots of water to drink and plenty of shady places for them to lay down

I also would like to see what other people say mine are not loving this heat!

Thank you for the suggestions!!! I seriously appreciate you taking the time to respond! Now to figure out how to make a giant ice cube! Haha!! Wonder if I can fit my tea pitcher into my freezer..... hmmmm...

Mine, for some reason, hate watermelon. They do, however, love grapes. So I stuck some grapes in the freezer for them to have in a bowl of water tomorrow. I've gotta make up ice cube treats again tonight so that they're frozen for the hottest part of the day tomorrow. I haven't tried bananas yet! That's what I forgot at the store yesterday! I've got some cucumbers to try for them, too.

I'll definitely look into a pool to see if maybe they'll try it out. My roo and my big beast, Bertha, are the ones that seem to be getting hit the hardest. Everyone is panting at some point during the day but those two are the worst. I feel so bad for them. Maybe a mister of some sort? Pinterest, here I come.

Thank you for the suggestions!!! I seriously appreciate you taking the time to respond! Now to figure out how to make a giant ice cube! Haha!! Wonder if I can fit my tea pitcher into my freezer..... hmmmm...

Mine, for some reason, hate watermelon. They do, however, love grapes. So I stuck some grapes in the freezer for them to have in a bowl of water tomorrow. I've gotta make up ice cube treats again tonight so that they're frozen for the hottest part of the day tomorrow. I haven't tried bananas yet! That's what I forgot at the store yesterday! I've got some cucumbers to try for them, too.

I'll definitely look into a pool to see if maybe they'll try it out. My roo and my big beast, Bertha, are the ones that seem to be getting hit the hardest. Everyone is panting at some point during the day but those two are the worst. I feel so bad for them. Maybe a mister of some sort? Pinterest, here I come.

I also use grapes and cucumbers and they love it! Bananas are very good to freeze for them when you get some.
A few of mine like the pool.
Good luck with the heat!!!!

Like the pool idea, making sure that the water is drained every day (mosquitos) and no standing water around. I though we were having it bad (high 80s - low 90s with humidity) and no majority of homes don't have AC but I won't complain. Wow, I feel for you all.

Yes, definitely. We have an above ground pool that has to get drained *tomorrow* because of the mosquitoes. They're ridiculous. Thankfully, our humidity has been down a little and once the sun goes down, it cools off considerably. But, by 11am, it was 91 with a heat index of 101 today. There's no telling what it was during the hottest part of the day. I didn't think to look; I was sitting outside with the chickens, trying to get everyone to peck at ice cubes. Ah, I couldn't do without AC. Thankful I'm married to my AC man. Hah! It's 78 with 79% humidity out right now. Much much better. Our high today was 101. :barnie

I also use grapes and cucumbers and they love it! Bananas are very good to freeze for them when you get some.
A few of mine like the pool.
Good luck with the heat!!!!

If only one likes it and it helps, it's totally worth it in my book! Awesome! Going to the store tomorrow!! Hah! Same to you!!!

Back
Top Bottom