How to best treat mites in your coop and on the birds?

Ok, I get everything from tractor supply. What permethrin should I get? And am I supposed to mix it into water or something?

You can get prediluted liquid (which comes in small spray bottles), aerosols, liquid concentrate (which you need to dilute with water), or powder. For treating coop or hard surfaces, liquid concentrate is the most sensible since even a tiny bottle can make a large amount. For treating birds directly, any liquid form or powder can be used. I got powder for the birds since I was treating during winter and didn't want to get the birds damp, and liquid concentrate for the coop.

I originally put a healthy 2 oz to a gallon of water in a gallon but I do have a lot of coops. If you do have mites then you will need to spray weekly for 3 or 4 weeks because it does not kill the pests eggs. Mix a fresh batch each time for spraying. It did take a couple of weekly sprays for me to notice the decline in the mite population. I do put permethrin poultry dust in the nest boxes. It's been quite awhile since I have had any issues. Especially in the spring I have had wild birds get into the coops and attempt to build nests. I remove them before the wild birds lay in them. I'm pretty sure that's where the mites came from here. I get everything at our TSC. Click on an image to make it larger.
GordonPoultryDust.jpg PermethrinSprayB.jpg PermethrinSpraySm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom