"How to Bond with Chicks"

haha i took my son out there today and proved it to him lol. he didnt believe me that it would work. He was amazed at how comfortable it made the chicks.

Well I may be doing something wrong. Even walking up to the brooder where my 9 day old Plymouth rock chicks are scares them to death and they all huddle in the corner. I thought about feeding them out of my hands a little but each day. Maybe individually , or should I do this as a group?? Any other tips?
Do you get down to their level and talk to them, or do you stand over them? Anything over them is perceived as a threat. Definately offer feed from your hand. When you put your hand in the brooder, enter against the wall and then bring your hand down to the bottom of the brooder so you won't have your hand over them. When you feed them, tap the food with your finger, and make clucking noises. If you act like a chicken, they will think you are a chicken!! It takes a lot of patience. I alwys greet my chicks with the same words and voice as soon as I enter their brooder room. If I don't they panic.

I'll have to try this!! I've got 13 chicks I just hatched, we had 14 but I lost one this morning... the only one that had bonded with me. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom