How to Break a Broody Hen

I have a broody hen but I've only got 2 full grown hens. No rooster
2639.png
I really want one. But I was wondering if I just lock her out of the coop so she can't get to the nest if it will brake her. I mean they only go in it at night anyway I'll probably lock them outside all day and put them on the roosts at night and lock them out for a few days. I hope it works.

I have a broody hen but I've only got 2 full grown hens. No rooster
2639.png
I really want one. But I was wondering if I just lock her out of the coop so she can't get to the nest if it will brake her. I mean they only go in it at night anyway I'll probably lock them outside all day and put them on the roosts at night and lock them out for a few days. I hope it works.

How is the other hen going to get to the nest box to lay if they are locked out?

More than likely the broody one will just make a nest as best she can outside the coop. That would be after she drives herself nuts trying to get back into the coop and a nest. The only way I have been successful is to put the broody up off the ground in a wire (1/2" hardware cloth) cage where she has no ability to keep her underside warm.

How is the other hen going to get to the nest box to lay if they are locked out? 

More than likely the broody one will just make a nest as best she can outside the coop. That would be after she drives herself nuts trying to get back into the coop and a nest. The only way I have been successful is to put the broody up off the ground in a wire (1/2" hardware cloth) cage where she has no ability to keep her underside warm. 
The other hen is not laying and the broody has been locked out for 6 hours now and she is just eating and scratching around like normal.

Hi guys, thanks for all your great info!
I have a Broody hen that I let hatch some eggs this spring. She's gone Broody again. I've had her in a wire bottom cage for about a week. She's one stubborn girl! Should I keep her in until she lays an egg?
Thanks

I would let her out and see, she should go back to being a chicken. If you find her sitting the nestboxes later it's back to the cage. My bantam and some of my large breeds are continuously broody through the season whether they raise chicks or not.

Thank you. I'll try that. I hate keeping her caged.
This is the 3rd time she's gone broody. The first time broke in like 3 days. The second time we bought some fertilized eggs. This time she's taking her time!

Back
Top Bottom