How to Break a Broody Hen

Pics
In my area, we are only allowed 4 Chickens, No Roosters.... so hatching an egg is not an option, unfortunately.
Maybe you could order some hatching eggs? If you've tried the wire bottom cage, locking them out of the coop during the day, etc., and nothing has worked, it sounds like she really wants to be a mama. lol

We are in luck! After 3 days of separation, Shimmer Shine is now back with the girls. I am so lucky that she is not a hard core broody!
yippiechickie.gif

This morning, of the 2 that are laying, 1 had an egg but it was tossed out and was broken. A bit ago, tho I've been checking every hour, the other one layed an egg, and it had been pecked at. Guess it's time for the"squatsy sisters" to go back in the hanging cage!!!

@molinda: if your broodies are so mean and you're allowed only 4 chicken altogether, maybe it's better to just cull them and get fresh pullets or something like that. For someone who doesn't want to or can't do hatching, a broody hen is difficult enough, but one (or two) that kicks eggs and behaves nastily is too much.

@molinda: if your broodies are so mean and you're allowed only 4 chicken altogether, maybe it's better to just cull them and get fresh pullets or something like that. For someone who doesn't want to or can't do hatching, a broody hen is difficult enough, but one (or two) that kicks eggs and behaves nastily is too much.

I'm planning on exchanging them this weekend

Quote:
Boy, sounds like they are hard core. But you live in Florida so I wonder if then never get cold enough underneath?? My Chantecler and the Favorelles like to go broody and it clearly takes a LOT longer in the summer than the winter. When you trade them in, see if you can get replacements that are breeds that are not likely to go broody. My Easter Eggers never hinted at broodieness but one of my Black Australorps went broody in March (first time), broke in 2 days. And one of the Cubalayas thinks that direction on occasion but a night (they hit the broody box ASAP in the morning) in the box sets her right. The other BA and Cubalaya, never (knock on wood). Bruce

I have a broody JG into day 3. We too put her out during the day but tonight I put her in a small cage with 2 phoney eggs tonight. She is drinking but not eating much. I wonder if I'm just making it worse the the phoney eggs. She is very sweet. I may be rehoming my girls this fall so I don't want to get a fertilized egg.

Today I had them sitting in water - not intentionaly- heavy rains came and the cage fell into the pit the others dug...so I let them back into the dry coup.
The lady I was gonna trade them in has no available hens right now,,,UUUgh......... so back to the cage in the morning

Well, sitting in that water did help some...... they were out n about several times today, even when we had more rain

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom