How to Break a Broody Hen

I managed to ‘break’ a broody this week by taking her out of the nesting box in the dark and putting her on the perch. It was too dark for her to figure out how to get back to the box and so she stayed perched all night and that seems to have been enough to snap her out of it.

I managed to ‘break’ a broody this week by taking her out of the nesting box in the dark and putting her on the perch. It was too dark for her to figure out how to get back to the box and so she stayed perched all night and that seems to have been enough to snap her out of it.

She must have barely been starting her broody period. Don't be surprised if she heads back to the box and gets more serious about it.
My thoughts exactly.

I think I have just been lucky to be honest! She had been broody for maybe a week or so and my Mum just kept taking her out the box in the day and not making a real effort to fix it. Maybe it was a combination of factors - we have had a lot tougher time fixing broody hens before.

PS. I wasn't bragging about having found some magic fix... I assume it must've sounded that way from the responses. All I know is that she was broody before and she isn't now and so I am pleased. :)

I can’t get my broody chick out of the nest they built between a fence and tree. I’m happy letting her sit there except for the others wanting to lay eggs. can I set up another area for them? If so, how do I attract them to this new nesting spot?

I can’t get my broody chick out of the nest they built between a fence and tree. I’m happy letting her sit there except for the others wanting to lay eggs. can I set up another area for them? If so, how do I attract them to this new nesting spot?
Why can't you get her out, is the spot out of your reach?
Maybe a fish net?

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Some hens are super hardcore about where they nest others can be moved with little trouble. As aart said you may need to lock her up for a few days assuming you can get to her.

Is there any harm in letting the broody chicken do her thing until she's done? Other than possible harm to your hand when you collect eggs each day? FYI, no rooster here, I've had chickens for 20 years and this is the first time I've had a broody hen!

Back
Top Bottom