How to breed a turkey

Hi I was wondering how and if I can breed my bbw and my bourbon red turkeys together.
It works best if the BBW is the hen and a yearling. The older they get, the less flexible they become and the less likely a natural mating will be successful.

I crossed a Bourbon Red tom with a BBW hen when both were yearlings. The offspring was a Red Bronze tom who grew nearly as big and nearly as fast as a broad breasted turkey.

Ya what is a yearling a have a bbw hen and a bourbon red Tom and they will not breed
Just because you don't see them breed does not mean that they haven't bred. Some toms are secretive about their matings while others don't care. I rarely see my toms breeding my hens but they are obviously are since I get fertile eggs that I hatch.

If your hen was imprinted by you as a poult, she probably assumes the breeding position for you rather than for the tom.

You cannot force them to breed. You can do a search for turkey artificial insemination and learn how to collect the semen from the tom and how to then inseminate the hen with it. You will have to purchase the necessary supplies for it. You also have to be careful so that you do not injure either one.

Back
Top Bottom