How to breed for a specific color....

bbethea104

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Wetumpka, AL
I crossed over two varieties of same breed and ended up with a chocolate chick, which neither parent was chocolate, but would love to get these chicks to where they could breed true chocolate colors. What do I need to do with these chicks to get them to produce 100% chocolate chicks now? Should they breed true since they are chocolates or should I cross them back to parents for the next few years? The chocolate chicks will be laying this fall and need to know before they reach maturity on how I can keep these chocolates. Thank you so very much in advance

;) Might help to state what species of bird they are.

Since nobody knows the genetics of your birds, on this forum anyway, it may help to talk to the person who bred the birds you have. Find out how purebred they are, whether this 'sport' or whatever, this variant, is common, or comes from another breed mixed into the ancestry of the breed you have, and so forth.... Some purebreds of a breed are established from other breeds, or infused with other breeds to regain vigor etc the original breed had lost, so they are merely recreations, not totally pure.

If I were you I'd breed the parents with each other again, cross them with their offspring too, and cross the offspring with each other, and the results of all of that would answer a LOT of questions you may have about this trait. But you'd need to keep very careful records of everything you do and every result.

Best wishes.

;) Might help to state what species of bird they are.

Since nobody knows the genetics of your birds, on this forum anyway, it may help to talk to the person who bred the birds you have. Find out how purebred they are, whether this 'sport' or whatever, this variant, is common, or comes from another breed mixed into the ancestry of the breed you have, and so forth.... Some purebreds of a breed are established from other breeds, or infused with other breeds to regain vigor etc the original breed had lost, so they are merely recreations, not totally pure.

If I were you I'd breed the parents with each other again, cross them with their offspring too, and cross the offspring with each other, and the results of all of that would answer a LOT of questions you may have about this trait. But you'd need to keep very careful records of everything you do and every result.

Best wishes.
Thank you. I haven't told anyone what chickens I used to do this but I will send you a pm. I just want to make sure I have it correct :) Again thank you

Back
Top Bottom