How to breed? HELP! lots of questions!!

kizza07

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Hi all!

I havent been on here for a while, because I wasnt allowed to get chickens, and when i did incubate, they didnt hatch...
sad.png

But, I am hopefully getting a bantam this weekend or this week!

Anyways, I need your help!
lol.png

My mums friend has two white silkie chickens. A roo and a hen. They are both about the same age (about 12 months old).

This friend has had the hen and roo separated for ages, but now wants more silkies, and wants to breed the two.
So she put them in a coop together 6 days ago. She says that they have been fairly well at it...
wink.png
But the roo is being gentle and not hurting her, and not doing anything too often..
wink.png

My agriculture teacher said that we are doing it okay, and to leave the roo in there until the eggs hatch.

What do you guys think?
I dont know how to breed, how do you breed?

The hen has laid 4 eggs so far. And we have homes for any unwanted roosters if there are too many!

Is this hen too young to be brooding? How do i know that she is broody? She hasnt been sitting on them...
AAHHHH!!! HELP ME!! Im so worried, but i guess there is only one way to learn!!

ANY information is appreciated!!
Kizza

Ummmm.....sounds like they will be ok...lol. Silkies are very broody...so after she lays some more eggs she should go broody on her own......and i would go ahead and take the roo out when she does. I have had silkie roo's in the past to be great dads. But since it will be her first time i wouldn't chance him buggin her. GOOD LUCK......keep us posted

THANK YOU!!! That was a great help!!
big_smile.png

I will definately keep you posted this time!! Do you know how long it takes with the roo in for the eggs to be fertile?

Back
Top Bottom