how to bring a mother in with her chicks

jimmythechicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
mansfield
we have a flock of about 25-30 birds all of them are 4-9 weeks old.we just got a mother with 4 chicks that a guy did not want to take care of anymore. she is very aggesive toward our other birds i have them all seperated now but how should i go about bring them into the flock without her betting up my other birds?my birds were being friendly an just wanted to check them out.please any idea's should i seperate her from her little ones an put the little ones in the flock they seemed fine with the other birds.the guy did not know what kind of birds they are the little ones look like 3 black giants an a EE.the mother is a smaller bird like a grayish blue i will post picks later today.

Depends on the age of the chicks(seperating from mom) IF the chicks seem to be in size close to your other birds, I'd introduce them to the main flock first. You did say your main population was friendly, so that sounds like a good sign. ALWAYS Be there those first few hours, just to help break up any bad behavior. Sound as if the mother hen will need to be penned for a few days, to learn she's not the queen just yet.

Back
Top Bottom