1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to Build a Poop Board with a Ladder Roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aoxa, Oct 12, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Okay so let's get to the point.. I have A LOT of chickens, and everyone swears that poop boards are the most amazing thing. I'm wondering how I would encorporate them into my coop (actually a big barn).

If you have a ladder roost, and poop boards, can you please share your images and experience?

[​IMG]
    I would need something under this roost...

[​IMG]
    Under this one...

[​IMG]
    This...

Or should I just scoop the poop and get on with it? :lol:

Stable boy is my best friend. I sprinkle it under the roosts every other day to dry up the poop. Definitely helps. I just go through far too much bedding and it's costing a lot of money. I'd like to use sand or something I can scoop like a litter box, or something that even lasts longer and is cheaper than Klin Dried Pine shavings.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Look up Deep Litter.

Poop boards are a pain in the butt.

I have 85 layers and some roosts like yours.

I clean mine once or twice a year. Mine is in a barn too. 2 horse stalls.

Shawn

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried it, and it is too smelly with the waterfowl. I could do it if I could remove all water.

I'll just continue to do what I'm doing then I guess :) Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by