How to Build a Predator Proof Pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Any ideas?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Lots of 1/2 inch hardware cloth! I plan to enclose most of mine in hardware cloth, as well as putting goat fencing along the bottom. I think that will be 100% predator proof.

For something that is just predator resistant, I think garden fencing at least 4 ft high with netting over the top should do.

1 person likes this.
  3. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a maxim security chicken area ...in which

• I buried the fencing 12 inches under the ground
    • the fence is 6-7 feet high
    • No gates/door in the fencing (The coop sits in the middle of a 25' x 50' yard, which is attached to a building that has a door we can enter the chicken area from)
    • There are 2 electric wires that run across the top (was having an issue that my dad insisted was a raccoon attack so he added a second, stronger electric wire - I think one meant for a cow).
    • We stretched netting across the top (something very similar to what is on a volleyball net) - the problem wasn't a raccoon but an owl. We had tried stringing fishing line over the top but that didn't work.

We haven't had a problem since all of these were installed.

Our second coop, is our chicken retirement coop, so not as worried about security, but we haven't lost a single hen since we installed the electric wire across the top of the fence. Our fence is only 4 feet high on this one, the electric isn't too strong, a few of us have been zapped when we forget. We also installed a automatic door since there is not netting over the fenced in coop - but it hasn't worked in a year and still haven't lost anything.

We have a flock of Guinea fowl that free range, they can fly out of the second coops fenced in area and roam the yard. They slowly get picked off by a hawk, fox, etc during the day. Perhaps that is what keeps our chickens in that coop safe.

Hope some of this helps.

4. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks so much for the advice! The reason i was asking was because i lost a duck today to a predator in a pen i thought was predator proof because i have never lost any ducks in it.
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by