How to build my final flock

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
We are just starting out with Coturnix Quail. We got hatching eggs and had a great hatch of 11/18 eggs. We are newish to our homesteading life and our ultimate goal is to have our 2 pens filled with ladies only. The original plan was to keep some males until we have enough females to fill our cages, but we weren't sure how that was going to look until we knew what our male/female ratio was.
We are at 6 weeks, and it appears that we have 4 males and 7 females, we're trying to figure how to best divide them. I have enough room to fit 7 quail in each cage comfortably.
We plan on keeping 2 males a little longer for a good few rounds of hatching eggs and having 2 exit at 8-10 weeks.
Is it possible to divide the hens and have 2 males in with each group, just until 8-10 weeks and one of the males can make his exit?
Or should we make 2 additional pens, which only gives each male 2 (and one will have 1)? Again, just until 8-10 weeks.
If we do that, how easy will it be to reintegrate the hens back together? If they are separated for a few weeks, will they still get along when they are back together?
I'd ideally like to have our other 2 males exit after we get another round of birds and put our original 7 ladies together and then 7 from the 2nd hatch in the 2nd cage.
And maybe I can convince my husband to get another cage to keep our male in with a little harem of his own (ensuring of course that they are not his children).

Now about the "exit". We have never eaten quail before, but are going to try and give it a go, but I have a large family so we likely wouldn't have enough for a meal until after the 2nd hatch. Is it reasonable to cull 2 at a time and put them in the freezer until we have enough for a full meal? Do they freeze well?

I really wouldn't recommend more than 1 male per pen. While there is a chance it will work out, there is a higher chance that it will get bloody and violent. I would take your two extra males and put them in a separate enclosure where they can't see or hear the females. They may still fight, but your chances are much better that way.

Quail freeze just fine. Make sure to let them rest for 24 hours before freezing to make sure that rigor has passed.

Up until recently, I had 3 pens, each pen had 5 hens and 2 roosters. 2 of the roo pairs get along fine, but in the third pen, one of the roos got scalped by the other. He was taken out, allowed to recover and now is in his own pen with 2 ladies.

I haven't had any further issues, but I do plan to build 2 more cages and have 6 breeding sets with 1 roo per cage.

It would probably depend on 1: how big your cages are, 2: temperament of the roos, 3: hens ratio.

The less space and less hens you have, the more likely the males are to fight, from what I've been told, and experience.

Up until recently, I had 3 pens, each pen had 5 hens and 2 roosters. 2 of the roo pairs get along fine, but in the third pen, one of the roos got scalped by the other. He was taken out, allowed to recover and now is in his own pen with 2 ladies.

I haven't had any further issues, but I do plan to build 2 more cages and have 6 breeding sets with 1 roo per cage.

It would probably depend on 1: how big your cages are, 2: temperament of the roos, 3: hens ratio.

The less space and less hens you have, the more likely the males are to fight, from what I've been told, and experience.
I had one pen that was able to do okay, except the one male picked at the other male (not enough to draw blood, looked like it would have gotten there though) but didn't go after any of the females. The other pen ended up with one injured. We took him out and have weeded our pens down to one male and our 5 females.

I had one pen that was able to do okay, except the one male picked at the other male (not enough to draw blood, looked like it would have gotten there though) but didn't go after any of the females. The other pen ended up with one injured. We took him out and have weeded our pens down to one male and our 5 females.
That is my goal. Expanding my pens, then it will be a 1:5/6 ratio.

Back
Top Bottom