how to build on to this coop?

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
Hi,
I have a annoying prefab coop ( that is falling apart ) and said it is sutible for four birds but that's obviously not the case. I want to build on to it. we built on to the run a little while ago and then recently we built on to that. so they have a good 40 square feet for all 4 of my birds.

but here are my questions
*how would I make a whole in the existing coop to build on.
*and my coop I already have needs to be sealed in some places before winter (like little cracks and stuff) what do I use?

some things to keep in mind
* I live in a neighborhood that has coop size requirements.
* I can not spend a lot of money.
* I have four chickens that's the requirement in my town.
* they are all small breeds (not bantams) exept for one barred rock.
* I live in Colorado with strong winds and snow.
* I have barley any building skills.

*please don't make fun of me. I have learned a lot about coops in that 5 month time frame.

Thanks!

here are some photos
IMG-6768.jpg
here are my girls! (only three of them).
IMG-6762.jpg
this is my run we built like a week ago.
IMG-6763.jpg
see we live in a neighborhood.
IMG-6765.jpg
here is the back of the coop.

IMG-6764.jpg
here is the front.

Don't even try.

I think most people who have any experience in building a coop and making add-ons will tell you that the falling-apart coop you have is not something that can anchor an addition. It would be a building nightmare.

It would help to tell us what the coop size restrictions are in order for any advice to be meaningful.

Don't even try.

I think most people who have any experience in building a coop and making add-ons will tell you that the falling-apart coop you have is not something that can anchor an addition. It would be a building nightmare.

It would help to tell us what the coop size restrictions are in order for any advice to be meaningful.
they are not crazy restrictions but no more that 6 feet tall

i have. how much money do you think this will be if i build a new one?
Not much, lumber prices are going down, if you build a simple box with a what I call lean to roof (flat but taller on one end, it shouldn't be very expensive. You could build a coop out of sliding closet doors, which are usually cheap at habitat for humanity's and thrift shop. Fence panels are good sources of lumber too.

Edit it's called a shed roof.

You might take some inspiration from this. Its actually bigger than your target size.

Basically, set four posts in the ground, attach walls with a gap at the top for ventilation, roof it. The biggest problem is the 6' max height (peak of roof, I assume?) - that means you can't build a walk in, which (honestly) sucks. But an 8x8 structure is 64 sq ft of footprint, and involves almost no cutting, since you can buy lumber in 8' lengths. Plywood/hardieboard too. Or even Polycarbonate panels.

What you do want is either a 10' roof panel, or do some cutting so you have an overhang - say 8' wide, 6' deep, and use a shed style single slope roof, rather than what I did. That will give maximum height at the front, for your convenience when you have to work in there. Put the back (low) wall facing into the direction of your prevailing winter winds.

Back
Top Bottom