how to build on to this coop?

I'd go with everyone else's advice and build a completely new one. I've heard more cons than pros about prefab coops. Most of the ones I've seen at places like Tractor Supply look pretty cheesy, probably made in communist China (and I don't want anything from communist China if I can help it; their d**** virus is bad enough!). However, the ones made by the Amish look pretty decent if you could get hold of one of them. I wouldn't sell yourself short on your building skills. The run you built looks pretty nice.

I would build it bigger than technical size requirements for 4 birds. My reasoning is that in Colorado with snow and wind, they may spend more time in the coop than in other places in the Winter, so you need more room inside to keep them from being stressed out. It's also good from a cleaning standpoint. Nobody wants to clean in the middle of winter.

I've seen how our predator proofed 12 x 12 stall in the barn stays clean for our 10 runner ducks. It's SO much better to give them more room! We had them in a 4x6 area for a month and it needed to be cleaned daily. By having it bigger, we had none of the issues with flies that others have, even though it's in a barn with our horses. Haven't cleaned the stall in 3 months, partly because they are outside 9 am-5 pm, but it still looks clean and has no smell.

I would build it bigger than technical size requirements for 4 birds. My reasoning is that in Colorado with snow and wind, they may spend more time in the coop than in other places in the Winter, so you need more room inside to keep them from being stressed out. It's also good from a cleaning standpoint. Nobody wants to clean in the middle of winter.

An excellent point!

This is how my hubby extended his mom’s coop that she bought for 5 chickens.
I like how he built up. I have the same prefab coop I use for a grow out pen. Built a basic covered bridge to attach it to an 8x24’ run
C2370D1A-0A04-4416-9645-212E2A1AF4C1.jpeg

I've seen how our predator proofed 12 x 12 stall in the barn stays clean for our 10 runner ducks. It's SO much better to give them more room! We had them in a 4x6 area for a month and it needed to be cleaned daily. By having it bigger, we had none of the issues with flies that others have, even though it's in a barn with our horses. Haven't cleaned the stall in 3 months, partly because they are outside 9 am-5 pm, but it still looks clean and has no smell.
Wow - your ducks have a 9 to 5 job! 😲

i have. how much money do you think this will be if i build a new one?
Building materials are expensive right now, but I'd recommend getting something that you won't have to go nuts insulating. Realistically for 4 chickens, going for another prefab made of the plastic wood instead of regular wood will insulate and keep them safe and won't break down like regular wood, and is able to be painted. The big one for all 12 of my chickens was around $500 and you'd easily get to that amount trying to build yourself. Most of the plans for a coop you make yourself need to be modified because they're designed terribly, I went that route and couldn't even get my arm into the nest boxes to get the eggs out without taking it apart and doing half of it over. I wasted hundreds on crap plans and definitely want to get the big plastic wood one as soon as i can. I'll try and find the link I think they're on here

but I'd recommend getting something that you won't have to go nuts insulating.

For all but the most extreme winter climates, insulation does nothing but give rodents a cosy place to live. :)

Chickens wear built-in down parkas and don't need us to keep them warm as long as we keep them dry and out of the wind.

Back
Top Bottom