How to butcher Skinning method Graphic pics

Thanks for the bump Mosey2003...

I still use this method for culls and have only changed one thing since writing this...my method of dispatch. A couple years ago I developed neuropathy from chemo so it was very difficult to handle the large Brahma males and an ax at the same time. I now use a killing cone and scalpel for the Brahmas as well as the Cornish cross.

Reading this thread (along with many others) years ago,
before my first cockerel cull,
saved my bacon...err, breasts and legs.

Was going to skin and preserve saddles and hackles, until I discovered lots of lice.
I remembered this vividly so proceeded to at least get some meat.

Aart, if you're still looking to preserve hackle, after skinning you can dust the skin/feathers with a 50/50 mix of salt and borax. It'll dry it out and repel bugs so it can be used for display or fly tying.

We were talking to my father in law the other day about our trepidation at eventually having to cull the chickens... He doesn't have any anymore but said he used to skin them because it didn't smell as bad. This looks simple enough, though I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do it. The eww factor rather than the awww factor. I suppose I'll learn, right?

We were talking to my father in law the other day about our trepidation at eventually having to cull the chickens... He doesn't have any anymore but said he used to skin them because it didn't smell as bad. This looks simple enough, though I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do it. The eww factor rather than the awww factor. I suppose I'll learn, right?
I don't find scalding and plucking to be too stinky, but I fast the birds overnight so far less chance of any poop getting into scalding water and I only do 3-4 at a time.

Back
Top Bottom