how to candling ameraucana egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luckygarden, Mar 3, 2009.

1. luckygarden

luckygarden Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Leander TX
    this is my first time hatching egg with incubator, i put 42 eggs 13 days ago, I tossed 12 eggs after candled because they were bad. But i didn;t see anything when I try candle ameraucana, I check on day 7 and today but still didn;t see a thing

I used flood light low energy (15 watts), i can see movement on white and brown eggs but not green one
    can anybody help me how to candle green egg, is there any special light

thanks

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I got a small high power flashlight from the hardware store, I forget what it's called, it's too late.....but it works well on marans as well as the ameraucana
    good luck [​IMG]

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I had that same problem i thought none of mine made it then i seen the eggs were dark so i new they were growing .

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Home Depot. Go to the isle where they sell the mag lights.

Find the LED Lenser. It has a caution sign on it that it's harmful to your eyes.

It will look through Ameraucana eggs AND Maran eggs.

$50+ tax.

A little pricey but it works.

1 person likes this.
  5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Is that the one that feels like it will cook the egg if left on too long? [​IMG] If so I have one of those and candle quick, but it's awesome [​IMG]

6. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I have EE and it is very hard to see. I just look for dark spot and if they are growing as the incubation goes along. When I first started and wasn't as sure of what I am doing I would use a pencil and trace the dark spot on the egg then I could tell later if it had changed. Now I know more what it should look like and I don't trace them.

7. luckygarden

luckygarden Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Leander TX
    thank you for all reply, I think I will look the result from my first hatch, if I did good, I will spend $50 for the light and buy extra incubator to hatch the eggs (last 3 days)

7 days to go I cannot wait.

Again thanks ya'll

8. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I'm glad I read this. I'm candling EE eggs on Monday. thanks to everyone for the info!

9. Cree

Cree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Lino Lakes, MN
    I have some Ameraucanas Bantams on the incubator right now, today should be hatch day. I have a $150 LED Streamlight that's the brightest I have ever seen and when I candled my eggs I could only see anything in 1 of them. The rest were too hard to see anything. I'm crossing my fingers and will leave them on for probably another 5 or so days but I haven't seen or heard anything yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by