How to caponize a rooster Warning Graphic pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The majority of the people that caponize aren't making pets, they are making capons to eat. The bird will grow much bigger and the lack of testosterone means the meat isn't tough. An 8 lbs roasting bird is pretty nice. Just like a castrated bull, or lamb, or boar....

Quote:
I have memories from childhood of my grampa's capons. I wish I could find someone to do it for me. I have his tools but I don't have the stomach for it. I remember going with him to sell one of his capons. It was HUGE.... and he used them for broody hens. THey were very gentle and made the best moms ever. They could cover more eggs than a hen could also. I wnat to do it to a couple of roosters, but it is pretty impossible to find someone who will do it. Also.. have you priced capons in the store??? EXPENSIVE...

Quote:
Just like other castrated livestock, cattle, hogs, sheep & goats, the point of caponizing is to have a larger meatier animal who is also more docile for easier handling. When the procedure is done correctly it shouldn't cause much pain, suffering & stress to the birds. Once it's done & the birds are released they recover quickly.

Quote:
Just like other castrated livestock, cattle, hogs, sheep & goats, the point of caponizing is to have a larger meatier animal who is also more docile for easier handling. When the procedure is done correctly it shouldn't cause much pain, suffering & stress to the birds. Once it's done & the birds are released they recover quickly.

I agree. it is no worse than holding a baby calf down while it is castrated. That used to be my job while dad cut them.. their little eyes would roll back in their heads.... you can see it left a mark on me... I am 54 now and still cringe. but it is life on the farm. I would love to find someone to caponize a couple of roosters for me. I would use them for hatching duck eggs...

New Duckie We live in NW Arkansas, occasionaly visit in the MtVernon area. If this works out for us maybe we could hook you up with a capon or two. Currently have 25 Gold laced wyanndottes cockriels. We will probably process a few at a young age, caponize most of the remainder and keep a couple uncut for comparison. I wonder how they might do with a bit of freeranging in the summer. Once the bugs get thick my hens really cut down on the pellets. They seem to much prefer the hoppers, crickets and worms. Also the egg yolks get much more orange in the summer months.
Castration of animals is a very routine thing on a farm. We do it all the time, I don't look forward to it but it is just part of the job. The calves bawl a bit, but as soon as the squeeze chute opens they trot away and are back to momma or grazing in literally seconds. The choates (lil pigs) squeal like you were killing them. It' a terrible racket, but as soon as there lil feet hit the ground they are fine and right back to suckling. I'm sure it's not painless, but not nearly as bad as some might think.

Quote:
I second that with a
sickbyc.gif
and a
th.gif
but I am glad to see how it is done. Not what I thought for sure.

Being a vet, but not a chicken vet, I think I might try this with a little gas (isoflurane) anesthesia.

This might be a dumb question but I just want to know. Do the roosters still crow after having this done?

Last edited:
Quote:
I would love that. My sister lives in Willard and sons live in SPringfield. If I can't make it when you are there, they could pick them up. Just tell me when and where and how much.. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom