How to caponize a rooster Warning Graphic pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read this whole thread from start to finish. What a fascinating subject! My Spring hatching resulted in a few little boys. I waited until they were about 15 weeks old to process them, and they were still scrawny. Even so, the meat was already a bit tough for my taste. I would love to be able to caponize future boys so that I can let them grow out more, and still have tender meat.

The pictures that have been posted are quite helpful, but I would love to see more detailed pictures of the entire procedure from start to finish. Does anyone have more to share? Also quite intrigued with the idea of a suction device-anyone tried it out yet?

HI All,

I tried the suction device - a 60 cc catherer syringe, BUT, I couldn't get the dang thang inside the bird close enough to actually do any suctioning. I swear I'm going to invent my own tool like a mini pair of salad tongs. Just not much room to work in there. The catheter part was not long enough - maybe about 4 inches instead of 2 ?

Pictures are hard - the hardest part of this whole business is being able to SEE INSIDE the bird and get what you went for. LIGHTING is the key. Which is what makes pictures so hard, too. I have the best luck with a light ON my forehead otherwise my head blocks any light from above. The younger birds' ribs are more rubbery to spread farther, but then you compromise with smaller patient.

barnie.gif

Quote:
What if you put tubing in the end of the syringe? I just tried w/ my turkey injector syringe (roughly 30cc) but they all have the same end size, I have plastic tubing I bought from Lowes for a failed project probably the size of O2 cannula tubing (just guessing since I don't have any O2 tubing right here) Anyway it fit on the end of the syringe and you could cut it to whatever length you needed and it would by pliable enough to bend in any direction you needed.

Have you seen this video shared by BYC member Chinese Capons? http://www.56.com/u59/v_MjUzNDM2OTY.html I am really impressed with the skill & speed with which this man gets the job done! And look at how simply he restrains the chicks! I don't know what he's using for tools there. He must have fanTAStic vision, to see clearly inside the chicks from that distance. You know he's doing a great job, look at the way those chicks just jump up & run away, none the worse for wear!

you learn to do this and then you can teach me.. lol
smile.png
I do have a couple of old kits if you think you might want to use them.

What if you put tubing in the end of the syringe? I just tried w/ my turkey injector syringe (roughly 30cc) but they all have the same end size, I have plastic tubing I bought from Lowes for a failed project probably the size of O2 cannula tubing (just guessing since I don't have any O2 tubing right here) Anyway it fit on the end of the syringe and you could cut it to whatever length you needed and it would by pliable enough to bend in any direction you needed.

Last edited:
Quote:
My plan - when I get some land - is to breed Jersey Giants, Brahmas, and Faverolles. I would love to be able to do this when I have extra roos that I can't show, but won't be big enough at 16 weeks to slaughter. I've read that the JG's were almost primarily capons back in the 10's and 20's, when they were popular. Some of them reached 20 lbs.! Please let us know how those turn out. I am especially interested in the results of the faverolles. I would really like to see some more pictures, as I am also a visual learner. A Chickenstock demo would be amazing, but so far I haven't seen anyone who lives in the NY/NJ/PA area on here. Thanks so much for all of the wonderful information! Maybe we can get that chinese guy to come over and teach us!
wink.png

ok, here is my question how do you tell at such young ages if they are male or female? Or do you just open everyone up and check?

I have never done this before, but I'm going to try with the 27 mixed breed dual purpose chicks I just hatched out. I do not want to wait till they are old enough to easily tell the hormones will have kicked in at that point.

I see everyone talking about going to the other side , or through one incisions, If someone could download an anatomy picture and draw on it and circle the part of what you actually see. Because from the picture I have found it looks like they are both connected together.

Is it easiest to go in through the left side or the right side? Here is the picture I have found, if anyone wants to download even this one and use the paint accessory and just black out eveything but what you see when you open the roo...

If anyone else has done this with dual purpose birds how long does it take for them to reach slaughter size on average? I use dual purpose should I still feed them meat bird feed?

Also what is the youngest anyone has ever caponed them?

53024_roo_eprod.jpg

Thanks for you time,

Christal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom