How to caponize a rooster Warning Graphic pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I also fear that it will be a more difficult operation, to locate their smaller organs. I'm going to get a light that can be strapped to my forehead, and those beading tweezers, to see if that will make things easier.

I think this is very helpful. I have beading tweezers, so that will help, I can get a flashlight that you wear on your forehead. That sounds like a great idea.

Growinupinfl, that's a great picture you posted, but that's not what you're going to be seeing in the small incision you'll need to make to caponize your birds. You'll need to make an opening into their body cavity and look up towards the spine to find the tiny little
of a testicle surrounded by loops of intestine.

I was pretty sure that it would look really different in performing the procedure. That is why I was wondering if someone could download the picture and use something like the paint accessory and just black out everything except what you would normally see. When you caponize these ones will you please tell me what size the testes are?

I have also been wondering have you found a testicle on each side of the bird or are both of them connected on the one side?

Thank you for all your help.

Christal​

Quote:
Looks like he's going at it from above almost... and tool wise a quick snip with the scalpel then that's dropped to the left, then go in with tweezers? in the right hand and a hook* in the left... pull pull... tuck tuck... let go.

He's very good.

*The hook made me think of pocket screwdrivers ...

pocket-screwdriver.jpg

...but with a hook, but who knows maybe it's just a regular flathead thing?

Edit... or what about a reptile hook? https://www.thereptileroom.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=499&osCsid=zjorqpii

Obviously
very long for the job, but might be small enough/blunt enough/hooky enough when in the small form?

Last edited:
He is very good I wonder if his success in performing it on younger birds and w/ one insiscion is from how high up he is and /or the position he puts them in?

Tool wise the one hand has some sort of spreader thing, and I think you are right about some sort of hook thing. I wonder if you could modify a metal crochet hook, making it duller on the outer side by grinding and making it sharper in the inner hook part to sever instead of pull, but probably wouldn't be sharp enough. Bet there is some medical or dental tool already made that could be used.

Just looked at your link to the reptile hook and that definately looks dental.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen this before? It is a how too published by Sears and Roebuck in 1922. Is it an accurate description of the process? I think it is pretty cool.

Where is the best place to purchase a capon kit?

Thanks,
Christal

I would not waste the $40. or so that they get for a kit. Go on eBay and get the small surgical spreader, a razor type cutter and a med. crochet hook or a small surgical clamp that will go over the teste and clamp down so you don't slide off of it. There are ton's of those elastic on the forhead lamps on there too around $6. plus shipping comes to $8. Altogether you shouldn't spend more than $30. and you'll have tools that really work. I Bought two kits at $40. each and still did not have a tool that would work. I think I started a search at vintage veteranary surgical tools. Main tool is the spreader and make sure that the ends atre curved so as not to slip off once you spread the ribs. I think they were called small rib spreaders. Hope this helps. Julie

i<3chickens :

Does this stop them from crowing---sorry if someone else asked this I didn't read the whole thread.

From what I have read yes, if it is done before they start.
And there is no slip.​

Last edited:
Wonder if AC would consider them hens... seeing as how Roos are outlawed here?

Donno for sure if it was crowing or fighting they were trying to prevent, but either way capons, done right, don't do those so you'd think they'd be okay.

Course, still have the limit of four birds, so not really worth the effort of giving up my layers... but still, a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom