How to care for a Broody Easter Egger?

I do have a separate mini coop, but when we put her in there she didn't even pay attention to her eggs and just freaked out trying to get out. She started making the broody clucking sound like she was looking for her eggs. We left her there for about an hr but she didn't realize that her eggs were with her. I think she thought her eggs were back in the big coop. So we took her out and put her back in the main coop and she immediately ran to her eggs and sat on them and wouldn't get off for the rest of the day. So we just tried to keep her in the main coop and just sectioned her off

We left her there for about an hr but she didn't realize that her eggs were with her.
Is there a small pet carrier you can put where you want her to sit? This has worked for me. Put bedding in and the eggs. Stick her inside and close the door four a couple of hours or more, until she settles on the eggs. This is better done sooner. For the first couple of days, open the door a couple of times to let her take care of her needs. I have learned that if you wait until to close to hatch they get confused. She might still try to go back to the old nest site after taking care of her business, but just place her where the eggs are and close her in again until she settles. She'll likely stay after hatch.

Is there a small pet carrier you can put where you want her to sit? This has worked for me. Put bedding in and the eggs. Stick her inside and close the door four a couple of hours or more, until she settles on the eggs. This is better done sooner. For the first couple of days, open the door a couple of times to let her take care of her needs. I have learned that if you wait until to close to hatch they get confused. She might still try to go back to the old nest site after taking care of her business, but just place her where the eggs are and close her in again until she settles. She'll likely stay after hatch.
I think she should be safe now. I don't think the other hens will b able to get back in again

Back
Top Bottom