How to care for a sick hen if you don’t know what’s wrong?

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
I’ve noticed over the last two days one of my orps, Goldie Hawn, isn’t acting herself. I think the flock knows it too. Yesterday morning I witnessed one of the other hens mounting her and biting the back of her neck. I’ve never seen anything like that amongst my flock although I’m sure they’ve had a few squabbles that I’m unaware of.

Goldie was acting different throughout the day but she was still out in the run amongst the other hens, mostly just laying down. Last night she was roosting with the rest of them and this morning when I came out they were all happily moving around, except Goldie. She was still on the roost. Fast forward to later this morning, she has no interest in kitchen scraps or scratch. She was almost walking around in a zombie like state. Then she went and laid down by herself.

I know to isolate her now that I’m aware something is clearly wrong. But how and what do I start treating her for?

Just to clarify why it's a good idea in this instance to segregate this hen, she probably isn't contagious, but the others are noticing her state of health and are threatening her safety. In all other circumstances, a sick chicken actually fares better when left with her flock.

First, can you post a photo of her poop? Monitor her poop today, and make a note if cecals are showing up. That can give us important info.

First thing to do is give her a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda. This will revive her to an extent and maybe encourage her appetite. If she perks up noticeably, you might try returning her to her flock.

Has she been laying? How old is she? Does she get oyster shell and grit? Have you checked her crop? Wormed recently?

Just to clarify why it's a good idea in this instance to segregate this hen, she probably isn't contagious, but the others are noticing her state of health and are threatening her safety. In all other circumstances, a sick chicken actually fares better when left with her flock.

First, can you post a photo of her poop? Monitor her poop today, and make a note if cecals are showing up. That can give us important info.

First thing to do is give her a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda. This will revive her to an extent and maybe encourage her appetite. If she perks up noticeably, you might try returning her to her flock.

Has she been laying? How old is she? Does she get oyster shell and grit? Have you checked her crop? Wormed recently?
So sorry for the delay, I was trying various things with her that you had mentioned. I very much appreciate your response.

She hasn’t laid for a couple days, she is just shy of 1 year, the flock has access to oyster shell and grit 24/7, crop feels fine and she hasn’t been wormed recently. Quite honestly I didn’t know chickens should be wormed. I will get some! Her poop has been diarrhea yellow/greenish color. She is not egg bound as I checked after you mentioned it.

Should I start her on some Corid? I won’t be able to get some until tomorrow. Shame on me for not having some on hand.

You can safely worm and treat for coccidiosis at the same time, so get some Corid and some Safeguard, as that's an all purpose wormer and it's gentle. It's not necessary to have firm diagnoses as these two treatments are very safe and can be done just to cover those possibilities.

You can safely worm and treat for coccidiosis at the same time, so get some Corid and some Safeguard, as that's an all purpose wormer and it's gentle. It's not necessary to have firm diagnoses as these two treatments are very safe and can be done just to cover those possibilities.
Sadly she died overnight. Should I still treat the rest of the flock if they’re not presenting any symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom