how to care for ducklings

I had to get mine from a health food store - my local grocery did not have the right kind. Don't get the niacin that says "flush-free" or "time-release". You just need regular old niacin. I get the 100mg capsules and then dissolve 1 capsule per gallon of water.

I am not sure what to do. My ducklings have reached the stage where they are scared of everything. I keep putting them in the duck pool and they freak out after being in there a few minutes. Where as last week they were spending two hours in there before they climbed out.

What can I do to help them feel safer and calmer in general and when I am with them? They are close to 4 weeks old now I think.

I am not sure what to do. My ducklings have reached the stage where they are scared of everything. I keep putting them in the duck pool and they freak out after being in there a few minutes. Where as last week they were spending two hours in there before they climbed out.

What can I do to help them feel safer and calmer in general and when I am with them? They are close to 4 weeks old now I think.
This is a rite of passage for many ducks and their caregivers.

Breath...Have a cup of hot drink. It's not your fault, it is their survival instincts kicking in.

I would stop putting them in the pool for at least a couple of days. Stay as low as you can. If you are able, squat down as much as possible. Sit next to them. Announce your arrival with some sweet soft sounds. And pull out the treats. Avoid cornering them. Lure them with treats to where you want them to go. Keep talking, talking, talking to them - sweetly.

Time with them, seated or even lying down, and treats will help. It may take several weeks for them to get through this, and they do.

My runners are friendly and sweet, but went through this from about age three weeks till nine weeks.

Last edited:
This is a rite of passage for many ducks and their caregivers.

Breath...Have a cup of hot drink. It's not your fault, it is their survival instincts kicking in.

I would stop putting them in the pool for at least a couple of days. Stay as low as you can. If you are able, squat down as much as possible. Sit next to them. Announce your arrival with some sweet soft sounds. And pull out the treats. Avoid cornering them. Lure them with treats to where you want them to go. Keep talking, talking, talking to them - sweetly.

Time with them, seated or even lying down, and treats will help. It may take several weeks for them to get through this, and they do.

My runners are friendly and sweet, but went through this from about age three weeks till nine weeks.
*Whew* Thank you, I will remember the treats during my late night visit tonight. It seems my 3 little chicks and the two ducklings have bonded. The chicks get upset when the ducks are in the pool. The ducks are the leader of the little flock when everyone is out. Is this okay? or should I separate the ducklings and chicks. I have been letting them out in the chicken yard a bit at a time so they can all get used to my 4 adult hens. They usually head right in their coop when they are done exploring.

Watch them. Each little flock is different. They seem fine now. But ducklings grow so fast, little chicks may be stepped on. I hesitate to give a green light, based on stories I have heard, but I am also aware that sometimes it works out nicely.

Eventually, there could be problems if you have a drake, because they sometimes try to mate with chickens and that can be fatal for the chicken. Equipment mismatch is the most delicate way I can say it.

I have hatched 6 Cayuga ducklings 1 week ago and they are adorable. I clean them out twice a day as they do get very messy. I let them have time in deeper water however yesterday one of them had a lot of mucous coming out of its nose. It hasn't repeated again however is there anything I should do?

Watch them. Each little flock is different. They seem fine now. But ducklings grow so fast, little chicks may be stepped on. I hesitate to give a green light, based on stories I have heard, but I am also aware that sometimes it works out nicely.

Eventually, there could be problems if you have a drake, because they sometimes try to mate with chickens and that can be fatal for the chicken. Equipment mismatch is the most delicate way I can say it.
I had that problem with my last duck. He had a mate but she disappeared before my Mother gave him to me. He was confused and thought he was a rooster. I normally kept him separated so he didn't hurt the girls. I caught him trying to get one of the girls one day he slipped through the fence. I really liked him but he kept wanting to get at the girls. He would get himself all worked up pacing the fence to get to the hens he was raised with. He ended up dinner, unfortunately. I don't know if I have a drake out of the two ducklings I have now. But if I do, you bet they will be separated as soon as I know. Right now they are much bigger than the chicks but the chicks are the ones who walk on them.
idunno.gif
I am working on getting everyone acquainted with each other. I plan on keeping the chicks with the older ones when they are big enough. **crosses fingers** That is if the chicks don't turn out to be roosters.

This is the Perkins, Aflac. He thought he was a rooster. One of his hens is on the other side of the gate of our old pens.

Back
Top Bottom