How to care for feathered feet?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I got some Cochin Bantams recently, and they are my first chickens with feathered legs. I noticed that the feathers get pretty dirty, and some mud and poop sometimes gets stuck in them. Is there any special way I should be cleaning the feathers?
Thanks!

As their not huge clumps causing them to stumble, I wouldn’t worry about it, they’ll clean themselves.But, you can soak their feet and clean them.Also keeping the ground drier in their living space helps a lot.

Mine get horribly caked in the winter when it rains and there is mud. They do usually clean them themselves, but if super bad, then you can use a stiff brush to quickly brush them out. Only do this on dry mud. I find that washing them in winter is unhelpful because they have wet or damp feet that just get clogged again, and make them cold, and i can't be bathing and blow drying chickens when it's cold! Bantam Cochins like mine have feathering from head to toe without a break. Washing means wet chicken legs and butt too most likely. Fluffy little footballs!

I am blessed to live on sandy, well-drained soil so my love of feathered feet can be indulged without fear. I think that if I lived on sticky clay I might think twice about feathered feet in my flock. My Brahmas' feet would get dirty, but never clumped or caked with mud.

Keeping plenty of good bedding in the coop and run or constantly rotating the chickens onto green grass might be the best solution to keeping the foot feathers clean.

Thank you for all your replies. Luckily, my run stays pretty dry. It's just when I let them out that they get mud on their feathers. I can try using the brush, and if it doesn't come off, I'll wash their feet. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom