How to care for hunchback pullet

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, this is a 4-month old mixed breed hunchback pullet. She is very quiet and timid. She was very easy going with the next batch of chicks in the 2x4 water trough. She is able to hop onto a 3"-tall training roost, and she even roosted on her own once this week, by climbing up a little ladder I made for the chickens, where the rungs are about 6" apart, to roost at a height of 2'. However, I always find her during the day cowering in a corner, or hiding under the coop (a converted pony trailer). I don't want her sleeping on the floor because of rats (I am using traps to control them.). What kind of setup does she need so she is able to eat, drink, and feel safe? Will she be able to lay eggs?

Attachments

• hunchback.jpg
    hunchback.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 33
I hate to say it, but there is a significant chance that if she does have laying potential she might not be able to actually pass an egg.

My hunchbacked, wry-tailed cockerel had a pelvic opening so tiny that I was almost unable to gut him after harvest. Had he been female he'd never have been able to pass an egg through there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/slowpoke-a-reality-check-after-an-assisted-hatch.77702/

Be prepared for the possibility of having to cull this girl at short notice if she gets an egg stuck or broken inside her. :(

I hate to say it, but there is a significant chance that if she does have laying potential she might not be able to actually pass an egg.

My hunchbacked, wry-tailed cockerel had a pelvic opening so tiny that I was almost unable to gut him after harvest. Had he been female he'd never have been able to pass an egg through there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/slowpoke-a-reality-check-after-an-assisted-hatch.77702/

Be prepared for the possibility of having to cull this girl at short notice if she gets an egg stuck or broken inside her. :(
Actually, after looking again at 'her' this morning I suspect it is a cockerel, due to the long thin brightly-colored neck feathers.
Thanks for the notice.

Back
Top Bottom