How to catch a chicken...Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nancy1zak, Jun 14, 2010.

1. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We purchased a saddle to put on our EE that gets her feathers yanked out on a regular basis. The only problem is catching her is really hard. Any ideas, tricks? I was thinking of throwing a blanket over her>

2. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Wait until dark and quietly and gently pick her up off the roost. You can avoid lots of stress for both you and the chicken if you do it that way.

3. nancy1zak

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    That sounds good. How long after they are on their roosts should I wait? Even after 30 mins when I go out they are still finding their positions on the roost.

4. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Quote:You are a GENIUS! I have been using a small net on my "difficult" birds. 90% are not a problem, but those 4 or 5 are gonna get picked up in their sleep. Now I just hafta be more sneaky. [​IMG]

5. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    If your gonna saddle that chicken you need to get a chicken lasso to catch them. [​IMG]

6. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    You really only need to wait until it is dark when they can't see very well. I try to get them from the top and back with hands firmly over the wings so they can't flap. Then draw them in to your body and put your arm under their feet like you are holding a football so they feel they are resting on something. No drama!

We do all of our chicken catching like this, unless there is some medical emergency that has to be done in daylight.

7. nancy1zak

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Once I catch the chicken from the roost, can I take her out of the coop and put her back in without drama? I can't imagine she will like that saddle that much. Hope it doesn't keep her up all night.

8. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    You should be able to. Mine actually minded the saddles a lot less than I thought they would.

9. nancy1zak

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I hope she doesn't pitch a fit about the saddle. If she wakes up with it on....maybe it won't be so bad.

10. nancy1zak

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    how long did you leave the saddle on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by