1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to catch a chicken...that's in the bush.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenangelcat, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jenangelcat

jenangelcat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    We brought home a new chicken. As soon as I let her out she flew straight over my head and into the bush (along a creek). She is in a dense thicket of thorny vines. My husband has been trying to catch her all week with no success. We have a trap out there and she's avoided it. He can't get near her with the hook. I don't know what to do. It's not safe out there and it's getting colder.

I don't get why she won't just go towards the other chickens. They are right next to bush in a paddock.

Any ideas?

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Do you know where she is sleeping at night? Chickens are always easier to catch after dark. Otherwise, keep trying to entice her with treats. Try putting some scratch in a metal can, shake the can and call to her before tossing out a handful of the treat. Soon she may associate the sound with Good Things and come to you. Then you could toss some scratch into a big wire crate and stand back. When she goes in for it, close the door.

She may not relate to your other chickens as HER flock yet, so she's keeping her distance from them. Good luck & happy hunting!

3. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's an age old problem. Hence, the saying, "a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush".
    good luck [​IMG]

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    We bought a large koi pond net on an articulating pole, it works great for catching birds. If you cannot get one of those, make a hook and stick it on an old broomstick. You can catch her leg in the hook and nab her that way.

Good luck!

5. jenangelcat

jenangelcat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Got her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by