How to catch a thief.....

Pumpkinpup

Poultry Princess
12 Years
Jul 16, 2008
North-West Georgia
OK, I had something kill a hen night before last. Due to the evidence left behind I strongly suspected an opossum. The carcass was left exactly where the victim was killed and only the organs and intestines eaten.
I figure most preds would have taken measures to see that they did not get caught in the act by taking the body off somewhere else to eat and would also have eaten more than the innerds. I saw no tracks or scat so can't be sure of culprit.
I put a live trap in the coop with cat food as bait last night but nothing. I had to put both my kittens into carriers in the barn to prevent them getting curious and springing the trap so I now have two VERY mad kitties! Not looking forward to letting them out as I almost got scratched bad last night
hmm.png
Angry sounds of discontent came from the feed room all night! Not going to be pretty!
barnie.gif

I obviously can not keep the kitties in lockdown every night as they were mostly wild before this incident and now I am certain they will never let me lay a hand on them again. They just had gotten to where they trusted me enough to let me pet them when I fed them. Betraying that trust does NOT make me happy!
So, now the next question is.... What is my next plan of attack? It's in the 20's here at night so I have no relish for sitting in the coop freezing my hiney off with a shotgun awaiting the vile beastie's return. Poison isn't an option because of the kitties. So, now what?
Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
we put out a live trap and it took forever to catch the skunk that had been prowling we caught many chickens before finally catching the culprit

Maybe try something the possum would eat but kitties wont-- fruit- apples cut up I believe banana- or grain -corn, nuts.

I don't know exactly how those traps work, could you set it up so they could check it out but not get caught in the daytime and then set the trap part during the night. Also after being caught and caged they might not even go close to it.

Hope you catch the varmit!!

Back
Top Bottom