How to catch chicks that don't want to be caught

Sunshine_Chick

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 11, 2019
Southeast
I have GLW chicks ~6 weeks old now & am acclimating to being free ranged. They haven't figured out to come in at dusk & are so difficult to catch while they run around peeping because the sun is falling. I've had zero issues with previous breeds (BO, EE, Marens, Americauna), but these GLW are a difficult breed for me at least. Don't know if I got rejects, but they seem so stupid compared to other breeds. They're very pretty, but lacking in smarts. As have never had this problem before I'm stymied as to how to proceed. They hang out with the adult hen, but don't follow her in at night like previous chicks have. I am lacking in consistency because frankly some days I just don't want to deal with chasing them. They're the most skittish chicks I've ever had. Is this typical of Wyandottes? Thanks ever so much for any hints or advice!

#1 don't chase them. The more you do, the farther they will keep their distance.
#2 wait till they go to sleep at dark and just pick them up where they sit.
Thanks that's what I did. It just bothered me so to see them skitting around being distressed & so vocal. This isn't my first rodeo, but these are acting nothing like any of my other chickens & so far I really dislike them & poor things are only 6 weeks old.

Another technique is to leave them in the coop for days till they are habituated to sleep in there.

Feed them in the coop. A meal in the morning, a meal midday, then a meal well before dusk. Once they are in the coop shut the door. Do this for two or three days. You can then put the food right in front of the coop and see if they will enter it on their own.
Thanks I've been keeping them in a cage on the porch which basically in their coop. I only have 1 adult hen left which is why I got 3 babies & they all like each other, but the Hen paces & wants her new friends to come out & hang. I feel sorry for both & had hoped they'd follow her in at dusk. Guess just need to put my feelings aside & let them get used to their porch cage before I let them roam outside.

I haven't tried it with free ranging chicks but putting a strand of battery operated fairy lights inside the coop helped mine learn where the safe sleeping place was. Maybe lighting up the inside and providing food there would entice them to go in when it's getting dark, then you could close them in and turn out the lights for the night. Taking the food out afterwards if you can might be a good idea too. After a week or two mine had it figured out even without the light.

Back
Top Bottom