How to change laws in HOA area?

LeafBlade12345

Songster
Jul 10, 2015
Currently residing in The Golden State
Hi folks,
I live in a HOA neighborhood now and I'm not allowed to keep chickens. Another part of the neighborhood is permitted to keep chickens as they were bought by the HOA and couldn't be forced to relinquish their chickens. We would like to purchase a small coop and run for a few layer hens if we can get the laws changed. We have talked to several people we know who would like to have chickens. In fact, both of our neighbors would like to keep chickens or at least get a weekly ration of eggs from us. Dogs are constantly barking in our neighborhood, kids drive around in cars screaming all day and have parties all night, and morning, and hunters are constantly shooting behind our houses. I think I may start a petition...any innovative ideas on how to change these laws?

Hi folks,
I live in a HOA neighborhood now and I'm not allowed to keep chickens. Another part of the neighborhood is permitted to keep chickens as they were bought by the HOA and couldn't be forced to relinquish their chickens. We would like to purchase a small coop and run for a few layer hens if we can get the laws changed. We have talked to several people we know who would like to have chickens. In fact, both of our neighbors would like to keep chickens or at least get a weekly ration of eggs from us. Dogs are constantly barking in our neighborhood, kids drive around in cars screaming all day and have parties all night, and morning, and hunters are constantly shooting behind our houses. I think I may start a petition...any innovative ideas on how to change these laws

A HOA that allows part of the neighborhood to have chickens and prohibit others doesn't sound legal and binding IMO.

A petition is the place to start - get as many neighbors on your side and meet with those in charge of the HOA. Make sure to have a written statement listing the other issues of noise and negatives you mention - likely those are also not allowed in the HOA by-laws. Showing even one discrepancy should win the battle. And make sure you read the entire HOA rules and regulations to be "armed" for the challenge.

Thank you, I think that's where I'll start. The HOA bought an old part of a neighborhood and could not legally force the people who lived there to relinquish their chickens, nor could it change the rules treating livestock in that area. It just doesn't make sense as the chickens are very quiet compared to the rest of the neighborhood...luckily I've managed to get away with some quail as our property isn't too small and the neighbor don't mind the quiet noise. I don't want to get into trouble with the HOA, I'm worried that if they reject the petition they may come and check my property to be sure I'm following the rules. They will literally fine you if your NOISELESS machinery is an inch closer to adjoining houses than the regulations they set. So, if they find quail, I doubt they'll be very happy...

Thank you, I think that's where I'll start. The HOA bought an old part of a neighborhood and could not legally force the people who lived there to relinquish their chickens, nor could it change the rules treating livestock in that area. It just doesn't make sense as the chickens are very quiet compared to the rest of the neighborhood...luckily I've managed to get away with some quail as our property isn't too small and the neighbor don't mind the quiet noise. I don't want to get into trouble with the HOA, I'm worried that if they reject the petition they may come and check my property to be sure I'm following the rules. They will literally fine you if your NOISELESS machinery is an inch closer to adjoining houses than the regulations they set. So, if they find quail, I doubt they'll be very happy...
Quail are not considered "farm animals" . Dig out the rules and read them carefully.

It is so odd, almost all HOA's allow dogs, loud noises. It's a prejudiced view to tackle.

Why not ask some of your closest, friendliest neighbors who also want chickens to sponsor the petition?

Here the quail are considered farm animals, or at least fowl. Thank you for the link! I am pretty sure I will start a petition. My neighbors on the right are very nice and would really like chickens as well, so maybe! I have a place dedicated to a coop and run, so it would probably work out well. Thank you all!

Here the quail are considered farm animals, or at least fowl. Thank you for the link! I am pretty sure I will start a petition. My neighbors on the right are very nice and would really like chickens as well, so maybe! I have a place dedicated to a coop and run, so it would probably work out well. Thank you all!
Let us know how it goes. Don't give up!

Update I mean, not give up!
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom