How to choose which Rooster to keep? Do I need to choose?

Jan 7, 2024
Island of Hawaii
My Coop
My Coop
Hey all!
So the conundrum- ordering straight run Sebrights and drawing the short stick.
Three Golden roosters, one Silver rooster, and one Silver hen.
My flock also includes two Australorp (?) hens. They are all the same age (2 months, 5 days).

The area where the are kept is a 129.23 square foot geodesic dome where they have a lot of vertical space on roosts. I worry that my hen to roo ratio is WAY outta wack and that when puberty hits there will be blood.

I was thinking I would keep one Golden and the one Silver roo for aesthetics as well as potential for hatching eggs (understanding Sebright fertility issues). Part of me worries that even with two, the ratio will be brutal for the three hens. The two I plan on keeping are closer to breed standard than the other two. The Silver is a delightful gentleman who tolerates me well. The Golden is the top of the pecking order and lets everyone know it.

Thoughts? Should I choose between the chosen two on who is more kind to me? Wait to see who is more kind to the hens? Keep one seperate? Replace the two Goldens I plan on removing with hens? :confused:

You generally should not cross gold with silver if you're going for the breed standard. In my opinion, keep the silver rooster or the silver and one gold roo. But for breeding, I suggest only keeping the silver one.

Hey all!
My flock also includes two Australorp (?) hens. They are all the same age (2 months, 5 days).

The area where the are kept is a 129.23 square foot geodesic dome where they have a lot of vertical space on roosts. I worry that my hen to roo ratio is WAY outta wack and that when puberty hits there will be blood.

I was thinking I would keep one Golden and the one Silver roo for aesthetics as well as potential for hatching eggs (understanding Sebright fertility issues). Part of me worries that even with two, the ratio will be brutal for the three hens. The two I plan on keeping are closer to breed standard than the other two. The Silver is a delightful gentleman who tolerates me well. The Golden is the top of the pecking order and lets everyone know it.

Thoughts? Should I choose between the chosen two on who is more kind to me? Wait to see who is more kind to the hens? Keep one seperate? Replace the two Goldens I plan on removing with hens? :confused:
If they are that special, I’ve heard of people having a bachelors coop, and only keeping one roo within seeing distance of the hens. If you don’t have the money or space for that, then I would keep the one who is better around people.

Fair points so far! I wasn't necessarily trying to breed to standard, more using it as a data point for which rooster to potentially keep over another. The Silver boy is by far the most friendly.
My other concern is since he is so demure compared to the rest of the little roos, will it potentially become a problem.
The Golden I was planning on keeping definitely has everyone's respect. He does all the rooster things like shushing the others, keeping watch, deciding on roost, etc

Hey all!

It really depends on what your goals are and what's most important to you. Nice chickens? A certain color of chickens? Eggs to sell for hatching? Usually one roo needs about 10 ladies to be happy and not overmate any of them. You can build separate but adjacent runs for your roos if you keep more than one, or if they start to overmate the hens and chicken saddles don't work. But long term, you'll need one roo per enclosure, or they may kill each other over the hens.

Another option is a rooster coop, or bachelor pad, where there are no hens to fight over. Some folks raise rooster flocks for years with success, others, well, it works until it doesn't. Whenever there's more than one roo there's the potential they could fight to the death. But if they don't have hens to fight over, that usually helps reduce the fighting.

It really depends on what your goals are and what's most important to you. Nice chickens? A certain color of chickens? Eggs to sell for hatching? Usually one roo needs about 10 ladies to be happy and not overmate any of them. You can build separate but adjacent runs for your roos if you keep more than one, or if they start to overmate the hens and chicken saddles don't work. But long term, you'll need one roo per enclosure, or they may kill each other over the hens.

Another option is a rooster coop, or bachelor pad, where there are no hens to fight over. Some folks raise rooster flocks for years with success, others, well, it works until it doesn't. Whenever there's more than one roo there's the potential they could fight to the death. But if they don't have hens to fight over, that usually helps reduce the fighting.
My goal is to have a friendly flock that is pretty to look at. Very subjective, I know. I do like that the Goldens add variety to the silver and black. My partner prefers the Silvers.
Based on reading, the Silver is the ultimate winner so far, unless the Golden dominant proves to be capable of grace. I think I will try to rehome the other two Golden boys soon. Then keeping the other two to see how things shake out.

My goal is to have a friendly flock that is pretty to look at. Very subjective, I know. I do like that the Goldens add variety to the silver and black. My partner prefers the Silvers.
Based on reading, the Silver is the ultimate winner so far, unless the Golden dominant proves to be capable of grace. I think I will try to rehome the other two Golden boys soon. Then keeping the other two to see how things shake out.
The most important thing is that you are happy with your choices, and then you know you did your best to get the flock you want. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom