How to clean a stinky chicken

Gabrielle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
I have a red star, she is 7 weeks old and smells like she rolled in poop than dirt. I tryed washing her is water, but she still smells like poo. I'm scared to use anything that could harm her, what can I do to get rid of the scent?

D.gif
Thanks!
D.gif

Does she have access to a dust bath? I'd put some sand in the area as well as some DE and let her work it out herself. At 7 weeks, she will want to be clean.

Quote:

Yes, she is outside in the coop with her 6 coop-mates. She has been out there for almost 3 weeks now.

She probably got into some cecal poop and it smells awful. My dachshund likes to roll in it, and NOTHING will get rid of the smell short of a complete bath. She'll smell better when it dries out and falls off. She'll be shedding feathers as she goes along anyway.

Just to be on the safe side, you might check her out really carefully for wounds or injuries just to be sure it isn't from an infection or a blocked vent.

I wash mine in some "natural" no tears baby bath. One that won't foam up too much. I use it on my D'uccle the most, she's so little and always wants to do what the other girls are doing, including going out in the rain. She has so much feathering on her feet they get caked with mud! If they're bad I bring her in just before sundown, wash off her little legs, blowdry them then put her back on the roost so her legs are clean and can "breathe" for the night. I think she enjoys the attention that comes from her special foot bath!

Back
Top Bottom